Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to LSD your ZX2

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Ok, dumb question, can the u-joints be taken apart on the axles to put an end on our axle that has the correct spline count? They look similar.

jeff

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

on my swap I machined the speed ring instead of the carrier. I also went with custom axles from zxtuner to support my build. I havent had a problem and the LSD takes 2nd gear burn outs with no problem. I havent had any problems with the diff not locking up either. I would sometimes break traction at the top of third but both wheels would spin evenly.
    http://a818.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/81/l_4e3bacd4809c321da4f0092a3e605f11.jpg "spins like jelly"
    00 Yellow S/R: Turbo'd, big plans for summer '10
    01 White ZX2: Stock MTX (DD)
    02 Buick Regal GS: Sold, 13.2 @ 102mph

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanspiff View Post
    Ok, dumb question, can the u-joints be taken apart on the axles to put an end on our axle that has the correct spline count? They look similar.

jeff
    no. zx2 axles: 3 bearings, mx3 v6: 5bearings

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

i rember reading on the old site about kia sphia axles did we ever get that figured out like year and such.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Alaskan Amber..mmmmm - zxtwou2 Thanks for the help, it worked! Here is a beer for you. - Beodude123 Thanks for the alldata. - MrWeeyums Since your a good guy - krux For the man boobies - rusty 
    Merry Christmas - 2000zx2chik 

Skuce has a set, and for sure they'll work in his second gen..... they are a bit shorter than the ZX2's axle so no one has been brave enough to try them.

Comparing mine next to skuce's sephia axles.... it'd be close.

Having said that I'm getting a set made with ttfowia

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

what year are they out of if i do this i will try them out. it is only a 1/3 or 1/2 inch difference if i remember right. that will have little affect on it.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

the kia axles are a little stronger axles due to them being thicker

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

mx3 v6 axles > kia axles >(?) stock axles

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by ZX2 S/R Black View Post
    For the price of this it is more resonable to go MTX-75 swap... that way nothing has to be done to a Quaife dif... drops right in the MTX-75... you'd still have to get custom axles, you'd have to get the speedo to work... plus the rest of the fabrication and a custom mount....sure, a little more work, but you have a way stronger trans.... and bigger aftermarket with way more clutch options...people have had those to more than 500hp

just my opinion on this whole thing....

Think either someone should go PG... an if they want to go farther... Quaife MTX-75... unless quaife ever makes an LSD for our G5M
    The reason you don't go with a pg, is the fact that it retains the stock differential. Someone asked earlier what's the difference. Mainly it is durability. Aftermarket LSD's are meant to handle the abuse and more hp that the factory diff can't. If you use a phantom grip, the result will be the same for traction, but the stock diff will still wear down and eventually fail. For some of us, it failed immediatley. Drag radials and a phantom grip = hole in the top of the tranny and a diff that exploded in a million pieces on a N/A setup.

As for the MTX-75, that swap is easier said than done. There is a reason only one person has done it. The cost and hearteache of doing this swap isn't really worth it. Sure you have a few more aftermarket possibilities, but those products aren't much better than what is available for the g5m. Plus you are looking at a considerable amount more money. Axles alone are pricey because there isn't a stock set of axles that swap over to this setup like the lsd swap. It has to be custom. Then on top of that, the gearing in a MTX-75 sucks in comparison. Just my .02.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Lamouche or whatever your name was... how much did this swap cost you all said and done?
    2000 ZX2 S/R 1 in 500. Iceman S/R intake, SS 4-2-1 header, 2.5" SS borla Exhaust, Mfactory LSD, CWQ3 PCM, Ebaich Springs, Tokiko Struts, Energy suspension bushings all around, Motor Mount Inserts, Front & Rear Strut bars, 17" ADR Cypher rims, 150mph S/R cluster, S/R B&M short throw shifter with leather boot and shift knob. Have had all built block with Ford Racing head and a Garret GT28RS turbo and the works but parted out for school... no worries will build her up again one day...

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

you cant rely on a price lamouche would give you cuz he found a guy that sold him the diff + the axles. you can however rely on my price since Im getting it done the SAME way lamouche is (same shop, and I am even copying his bracket)... its gonna be around 1500 for the complete swap.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

i'ved paid 500$ for the diff and axles. the diff was used 5000km but with a broken ring gear... the axles were brand new... the guy that sold me the kit has 2 kits (2 tranny with an msp lsd in + 2 axles set) and he was running them in a 323 with a bpt.He did broke the pinion gear that drive the ringgear at the drag strip pulling 385 whp... so he did sell me the the lsp with the broken ringgear and the spare axle set that he had in his garage.. i did use my ringgear from my old diff and ordered some arp bolts from corksport for around 200$.

too much stuff to be listed...

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

since you guys have done this swap ,then what is the barring claerence

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

same as oem for mine we took the mesure and it's the same than oem and the tranny that i used as around 30000miles i didn't replace the bearing cup so i'ved kept the same shims for now since last spring when we did the swap i did 13000km with the tranny and everything still strong on the lsd side the rest of the tranny i still be careful with forks and synchros...!!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Where is the best place to get the Mx3 axles, and what years, or does it matter?

Thread Information