Thread: crazy idea

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default crazy idea

From http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=rev%20matching:

"REV MATCHING is a driving technique for shifting a manual transmission smoothly. One simply memorizes approximately how many RPMs different the various gears are from one another at the same speed, and then matches the engine's revs with the gear they are shifting in to. When upshifting, you just let the revs drop and slip into gear. When downshifting, you tap the throttle (or stomp on it depending on how long it takes to rev up.) This is often referred to as 'blipping' it. This works easily primarily because of the syncromesh gears in your transmission; if your transmission does not have them, this is very, very difficult to do without grinding. Even so, it takes the right touch."

I'm a computer guy (i.e. I'm lazy) so every time I look at a task I think to myself "why can't the computer just do it for me?".

With drive-by-wire throttles I think it should be possible for the ECU to do the rev matching for you, right? I don't think it would even require any added hardware (except maybe a button to disable it when you're doing burnouts).

I guess this has nothing to do with the zx2 since we have a mechanically controlled throttle, but this is the only car site I belong to so I'm posting it here.

Am I crazy or does it make sense?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

well, in high end cars with paddle shifting, it does it. or am I mistaking?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

You are correct.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I know on some sequentials they hit the gas while they tap the shifter forward. I have a few time attack dvds lol. Car's are getting pretty smart...rev matching for us and shit lol.
    Last edited by zxtuner98; 05-02-2008 at 06:12 AM.
    98' MTX - Bolt on.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

yeah probably sequentials do that too.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    For all the good info - ZX2OO7 You're one of the most helpful guys on here. Thanks! - Beodude123 most helpful as usual - gamma500 No Message - Meta 

When upshifting normally, the revs drop naturally and you rev match. It is hard to avoid rev matching in this case.
    When downshifting, we normally don't need this but it can be helpful if the revs are high, or you are going down more than one gear.
    Forget 'memorizing' anything. Just touch the gas a bit to approximately match what the speed will be in the lower gear. Close is good. This is not for every time use, especially at lower RPMs and just tooling around.

This is not truly 'double clutching'. Double clutching on downshifts requires putting it in neutral and letting out the clutch, revving it up and then putting it in the lower gear. This is useful for downshifting more than one gear. It can be done smoothly and fast.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

double clutching seems like it would be monotonous. i see the guys at work do it on the dump trucks (town DPW) all the time... apparently it's necessary on most. although there is one guy that says you can just shift through the gears without touching the clutch at all on one of the trucks (it was designed that way?). i don't actually drive them so i just agree and look back out the window.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

no, actually I am also able to shift through the gears without touching the clutch... you can do that on any car but you need to know the exact rpms or it will grind. downshifting is also possible but very difficult.

Thread Information