Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here a railfan?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    A slushy for Christmas - 2000zx2chik 

John, those are some nice pieces you're working on there!

I've got to say that it's interesting that your Pennsy E8 is numbered 5901, since......

..... 5901 is on display inside the Main Hall of the RR Museum.
    Last edited by ZeeEcksTwo; 10-14-2014 at 05:06 AM.

2001 Ford ZX2 (5MT) Silver Frost
    2014 Honda Accord EX (CVT) Hematite Metallic
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser (5AT) Titanium Metallic (the wife's)

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    thanks for all the info PnP'ing the head - DaviDawg A slice for the man - CJW For being the go to guy on PnP. - rascal 

Bachmman brought out a series of 4-8-4's with different boiler shell's in the '80's , N&W 611 , ATSF , NYC and CB&Q plus a set passenger cars for each . Nice detail on the shell's ,drive train sucked , plastic gear's wore out really quick . There are conversion's for metal drive train , turn's it into a real puller that looks good .
    Last edited by JohnP; 04-26-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    thanks for all the info PnP'ing the head - DaviDawg A slice for the man - CJW For being the go to guy on PnP. - rascal 

All the engine's I do are researched so there prototypicaly correct in all details . The other A unit is 5900 .

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Very cool!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeEcksTwo View Post
    John, those are some nice pieces you're working on there!

I've got to say that it's interesting that your Pennsy E8 is numbered 5901, since......

..... 5901 is on display inside the Main Hall of the RR Museum.
    I said E8 , should have said E7's 5900/5901 are early EMD E7 . E7 has square windows in the car body , E8's have 4 round porthole's ,sorry about that.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

He's a few pic's of a Great Lakes car ferry that was based in St.Ignace Mi on Lake Huron. The Chief Wamatam was built in 1911 in Toledo OH as the only front load car ferry , 338' X 62' . The Chief hauled freight and passenger cars between St.Ignace and Mackinaw City . These pic's were taken in the early '80's , around '88 it was cut down to the deck and is used as a deck barge . The pic of the Chief being loaded by Detroit & Mackinaw 974 RS3m is from a collection off the internet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JohnP; 04-24-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I've found that using Google Earth is a great way to find old railroad right-of-ways and whats currently in use. I found some old roundhouse foundations , old buildings and bridges . You can get down to about 600' so you can see some detail . Good way to find rail yards around cities so you can get that shot of a freight leaving town .

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I've used GM as well John. However, good old [as in dated] topographical maps seem to be the best way to find abandoned ROWs. This is the TGM site I use...

http://www.trails.com/

I found out a good bit of info on my state's site as well [ http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/...oricCountyMaps ]. There's one I've driven over/beside quite a few times that I didn't even realize was there. I'm not sure how long that line has been abandoned, but many times you can't even make out the ROW. Quite amazing, if not time consuming looking through them.

On another note, it's a good thing to have family in the train business. I stopped by my uncle's [who I previously mentioned with the Lionel train shop] shop last night to visit & see what he had. He had a slightly used Bachmann HO Amtrak Metroliner set [1 powered, 3 dummies] for sale at a fairly good price, so I bought it & it runs pretty darn good. He also had 2 PRR Tuscan Red GG-1s in HO and 6 PRR coaches that I may pick up my next time I visit. He also told me some of the people who come visit & chat with him are local Norfolk/Southern conductors on their breaks; he lives less than a 1/4 mile from NS' New Holland Branch Line and maybe a 1/2 mile from a major sweetener factory. That factory alone keeps NS busy enough to require rail service everyday of the week, though the local run at night. He said they're great guys to talk to, which is good because I've run into some NS employees that tell you [in the nicest way possible] to remove yourself from their property & take pictures of something else [like I was told at the Enola Yard on sunday ]. Just maybe, if I could speak with them, I could get into the Dillerville Yard & get some shots before NS tears up the east end of the yard & moves it west [less accessable to non-NS employees].

It's good to have 'people'.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Thanks for the Tsos, how about that recipe? - MrWeeyums I've got your mom right here!! - zx2loon 

NS new holland line has crushed many of pennys for me over the years....
    -GoT MiLF?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Years ago Kalmbach publishing did a reproduction of the 1948 Rand McNally Handy Railroad Atlas Of The United States , that's what I use plus Google . The book was $6.95 , 48 pages of state maps of every line that ran in the state . The book can be found on Amazon and other places , runs about $25.00 + now . You need to check out this site , it's the maps as shown in the atlas and you can download them .

The one thing I like about Google is it shows abandoned lines you would never find , the maps show mainline but not spurs . Found old freight houses that have been turned into businesses . Found a old spur down in Georgia that was abandoned , just the bridge and pilings were left , bridge was from the 1800's .

http://trains.rockycrater.org/pfmsig/atlas.php
    Last edited by JohnP; 04-30-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Thanks for the link John. I looked over the PA jpeg map on there and noticed a good portion of past Reading Company trackage is missing from their map, but is shown on the PADOT historic county maps [Schuykill County, 1946]. Maybe they're better detailed in your area, but not so much in mine.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

A lot of rail maps show mainline and some short branch lines . Best is finding local maps , I've found a lot of branch and spur lines around south Fl . Many serviced cattle stations , orange groves and fishing towns . There are buildings around some of the coastal towns that were ice houses . The fisheries would pack the box cars with fish and ice them down to go up north . With the old maps you can follow the trail where they use to be , same with Google you can follow the scar left by the old road bed .

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Very true John. There's some past ROWs around here that I need to hike to access, even though many are now ATV/recreation trails. The former Pennsy Low Grade Line that serviced some of the southern end of Lancaster County is being transformed into a 'Rails to Trails' path. However, Amtrak has stated the power towers & electric lines will remain, due to them still supplying power south of Atglen, which shortly thereafter turns into SEPTA [philly commuter rails]. That line has some great stone arch bridges/tunnels over the main thoroughfares [272 & 222 specifically] and two old steel trestles near the Susquehanna River.

Here's a shot I took at Safe Harbor showcasing one of the Pennsy Trestles [the lower line is NS].

And here's three spanning shots from the Dam itself, showing the actual size of the trestle.

I was told by a friend of mine that you can climb the ledges to get to the ROW of the old Pennsy Line, and walk onto the trestle. Yeah; I don't think I'll be doing that just yet.
    Last edited by ZeeEcksTwo; 10-14-2014 at 05:06 AM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Excellent shots , got to get them when you find them , never know how long they'll be there .

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
    Excellent shots , got to get them when you find them , never know how long they'll be there .
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I recently took pictures of the Amtrak station in Elizabethtown [northwest Lancaster County]; it's due for renovation soon. I'm also going to the East end of NS' Dillerville Yard and getting what I can there, since they want to tear that entire portion of the yard out & re-develop it in a retail/dormatory center for nearby Franklin & Marshall College. It seems now that developers see the railroads as wasted retail space and don't even consider the impact the railroads had on the very city that allows them to thrive in so many years ago. They're going to 'transplant' the east end of the yard further west, closer or the Post Office & other small businesses.

There's the link for the project on F&M's website [ http://www.fandm.edu/railyard ]. There is a number to call to voice one's opinion, however I won't waste my time calling to do that. They won't give a second thought about the memories one person has of going to the yard with my dad & gazing at all the Conrail blue many years ago; all they see is dollar signs.
    Last edited by ZeeEcksTwo; 05-02-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Thread Information