Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Parts for the ZX2

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default Best Parts for the ZX2

Okay, I had this superb idea not long ago. What about a thread that would list every possible mod to do on a ZX2 and specify the best part available to do it.

So hem... lets post what you think, I will update the thread as we go.

I entered a couple of them, if you think what I listed is not the best, just tell me and we can figure out what's better together.

Suspension:
    - Tokico Struts (From the S/R, Ford Racing)

Misc:
    - TWM Short Throw Shifter

Engine:
    - Crower Rods
    - J.E. Pistons
    - ARP Bolt kits (Head studs, main studs, flywheel bolts, camgear bolts, etc.)
    - Clevite Bearings (Main, Rods)
    - Spark plugs: Motorcraft (Stock replacement, or 1 step colder)
    - Powder UDP
    - Ford Racing Intake Manifold
    - Esslinger camgears (aka Ford Racing)
    - Motorcraft oil filter
    - Ford Racing Plug wires

Transmission:
    - MSP LSD with custom axles

Electronics:
    - ECU: NGP0
    - Tuning: SCT Xcal2/3

ok let's go.
    Last edited by TTFOWIA; 05-06-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I guess for OUR transmission the MSP is the best... I'd also list MTX-75 Focus swap with Quaife dif as another alternative...

IS JE or Wiseco better? I think mostly it depends on tuning but IDK which one is technically better.
    2000 ZX2 S/R 1 in 500. Iceman S/R intake, SS 4-2-1 header, 2.5" SS borla Exhaust, Mfactory LSD, CWQ3 PCM, Ebaich Springs, Tokiko Struts, Energy suspension bushings all around, Motor Mount Inserts, Front & Rear Strut bars, 17" ADR Cypher rims, 150mph S/R cluster, S/R B&M short throw shifter with leather boot and shift knob. Have had all built block with Ford Racing head and a Garret GT28RS turbo and the works but parted out for school... no worries will build her up again one day...

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    a slushy for christmas! - 2000zx2chik 

Personally i like Wiseco.

Then again i work there.
    2009 Focus SEL: 2.5 Trubendz borla exhaust , FSWERKS CAI, Jet black 5 speed.On its way: Full cage...turbo Build...Slammed

2001 ZX2: White power everything 5 speed. Daily Driver Project
    I am a man. I have a cat. He is a manly cat. He is not scared of people, doesn't hide under the bed. In fact, when people come in, he reclines on the couch, leans back and grabs his package and says "'sup." If I try to slap his nose to get him out of my food he just leans back and squints and starts working the jab

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    fake money for the points - zxtwou2 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - gunman_sr5 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gunman_sr5 

Powder UDP unbeatable.
    98 Black MTX (no options) retired at 339k miles. Kamikaze header,Fidanza flywheel,

02 black MTX (loaded) 141k miles. MMI intake, LXQ1, progress springs/SR struts, Otter strut bar, Powder UDP, 19mm RSB

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Thought you could use a gift! :D - JessicaOfVA Cool refreshing Pepsi! Drink up! - Beodude123 For being the biggest conservative moron on this site! - Mizzou02RS Merry Christmas! - 2000zx2chik 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - EmoRebellion 

Must be added:

Best spark plugs = Motorcraft

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Im sorry I won't list the MTX75 swap since it is not a simple part that we put in the original transmission... I will simply not list swaps in this thread. Cuz in fact, swapping the transmission is just overkill and only 1 person did it yet. It is also not a "part", but a complex assembly.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

As for the pistons, I don't know which one is better, I just assumed J.E. were the best. I know Wiseco are very good to, and than again, I have PROBE pistons that are also very good. Just listed the J.E. cuz of the brand I guess.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

welll I don't think probes are near as good... I think JE and Wiseco are comparable... IDK for sure which one is better, Id just put JE or Wiseco

As for the tranny... that's fine I understand.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

PROBE pistons are rated real good too... they're just not as popular. and especially not as expensive. Plus they usually specialize in Ford engines.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    cookie - CJW go good with cookie - texzetec need after beer - RADRaze2KX Merry Christmas!! - 2000zx2chik 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ZX2guy19 

Gude Head
    JohnP Head
    Gude 4-1 Racing Header
    Ford Racing Intake Manifold
    JohnP Intake Manifold
    Esslinger Cam Gears
    Gude Intake/Exhaust Cams
    ZXTuner Intake/Exhaust Cams
    Accord V6 Intake
    Focus Power MAF
    Centerforce Clutch

Just to name a few....

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

thx, but I would like to name 1 thing of each part. so we would need to determine the best of the best head, header, intake mani (obviously the FRIM)...

as for the clutch, it is application specific, so we would need to come up with the best brand (aka SPEC vs ACT, etc.)

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    cookie - CJW go good with cookie - texzetec need after beer - RADRaze2KX Merry Christmas!! - 2000zx2chik 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ZX2guy19 

Then your list would be highly scutinized. Its all a matter of opinion. I favor Gude products, but others don't. Besides, each car reacts different to a mod. Just because my car reacted awesome with the Gude head, doesn't mean the next guys will. Same goes for the intakes and exhaust. It all depends on the setup.

Saying one product is superior over another is a matter of opinion.

You could have 3 cars with the exact same mods and each one will put down different numbers on a dyno..... good luck on your "best" list though.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

yeah I know, I made this topic exactly for this reason. I want ppl to bring proof of what they are saying, examples, stuff to show they are right. and then we can go with the majority to come up with a "best part" for each category.

as for the "3 cars with the exact same mods" thing... sure they will not be exactly the same, but putting the same parts on 2 cars that are considered the same will bring results that are very similar.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Hope you enjoyed the "dragon" - zx2loon here is your beer i owe you buddy :) - daggit2005 

its hard to say whats BEST as each situation varies.... dont forget motorcraft oil filters. and ford racing wires.. i think a better list would be bad products or products known to perform poorly if at all .. such as crappy autolite plugs etc

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by TTFOWIA View Post
    yeah I know, I made this topic exactly for this reason. I want ppl to bring proof of what they are saying, examples, stuff to show they are right. and then we can go with the majority to come up with a "best part" for each category.

as for the "3 cars with the exact same mods" thing... sure they will not be exactly the same, but putting the same parts on 2 cars that are considered the same will bring results that are very similar.
    Not true. Kicker showed an increase if 58 whp with the Gude Head package. I only showed 35 whp. So if you think that is "similar" than you need help. Our cars had the exact same mods too.

Don't forget the Diablo MAFia.

And I still recommend the Focus Power MAF.

Thread Information