Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Coil On Plug Conversion

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default HOW TO: Coil On Plug Conversion

MODS MOVE THIS TO KNOWLEDGE BASE please and thanks.

Ok ever since I saw the kit that Jay racing made for the focus I wanted to design a sytem for my Z. After printing out many wiring diagrams from various cars I finally got it figured out.

What is needed:

1x 98/contour valve cover it has to have the spark plug cover.

4x Ignition Coils and wire plugs from anyone of the following.

CHRYSLER 300 2005
    CHRYSLER 300M 2000
    CHRYSLER CONCORDE (1998 - 2001)
    CHRYSLER CONCORDE LX (2002 - 2004)
    CHRYSLER INTREPID 2001
    CHRYSLER LHS 2000
    CHRYSLER SEBRING (2001 - 2005)
    DODGE INTREPID (1998 - 2001)
    DODGE INTREPID ES (2000 - 2001)
    DODGE INTREPID R/T 2000
    DODGE INTREPID SE (2002 - 2004)
    DODGE STRATUS (2001 - 2005)

Make sure that the bolt brackets are on opposing sides. Like this.

1x roll of 12 gauge wire

1x 3ft section of aluminum strip that you can get from Home Depot

8x m6x1 bolts to hold down aluminum strip and coils

Drill and drill bits.

solidering gun and solider

Ok now that all of that is aquired start wiring up your harness use this image as a reference. 1 and 4 are paired and so are 2 and 3.

After that you need to get your metal cut down to size. Cut your aluminum to length and drill your holes referencing the valve cover for your dimensions.

Mock up before installation

Once this is done you need to test your wiring. Here are pics of the first set I made. I was so happy when it fired right up first try. Notice you should already have your 98 valve cover on at this point I didn't because I didn't have one at this time.

Now because all of your wiring checks out you can wrap it in electrical tape or whatever fits your style.

All of your parts finished awaiting install. Notice the knots in the wire so I know which one is what.

All that is needed now is to put the kit back on and solider your wires. Dont forget to remove your stock coil and bracket. The stock spark plug cover will also fit over these coils if you desire to hide them.

It should look similiar to these pics once finished.

Dont mind the dirt I just took this pic tonight.

Dont forget to leave rep. As always any questions just let me know. I can also make kits for those that dont want to try this and mess there car up PM me for details.
    Last edited by conquest-king; 11-02-2009 at 10:16 PM.
    2001, SVTF DSI, 3"CAI, Obx header, Coilovers, Powder UDP, AC/PS delete, B&M Short Shifter, Leather Seats, 21MM Swaybar, Polyurethane Bushings, Custom FORD Emblems, Clear Cornered Projector Headlights, Tinted LED tailights, LED License Plate Lights, LED Center Reflector, Paint Matched M3 Mirrors, Vent Visors, 2.25" pipe no cat Magnaflow Muffler, Ported TB, Rear Tie Bar, MX-3 Rear Disc Swap, C.O.P. System, XCAL2, OCC.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    look what I found I can buy some more women pants - texzetec For making me laugh.  Sorry about your pokemon cards - TheCrazyGuy here's to help with your LIL problem... - 00zx2s/r Mmm Christmas Fruit Cake :D - 2000zx2chik they didn't have sweet tea sorry :) - JC'szx2 
    you were missing one of these in your collection of items - blue99fordzx2 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - CJW 

repsausage...you da man conquest!

crazy34 is offline Uniting ZX2 dirt racers under a common cause

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

very very nice there. just 1 question, is there any advantages to this set-up?
    DIRT TRACK RACERS....GO HEAR http://teamzx2.com/showthread.php?t=20182

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Many takes up less space, looks cool, very original and better spark.

edit: Thanks corby!
    Last edited by conquest-king; 11-02-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Enjoy - 1981gMachine Cheers! - recessbilly this is for selling sr - dareall 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - pissdrunx16 

Suscribed fo sho
    Posted via Mobile Device

crazy34 is offline Uniting ZX2 dirt racers under a common cause

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

in your honest opinion, would it be worth doing to a racecar that runs on dirt and would it be reliable enouph

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Definately do it if you have the means it is very reliable I haven't had a single problem with mine and I have had it over 6 months. I think it made a noticable difference in power and the stock coil I had before was brand new.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    mmmmmm beer - ed-flip 

i will hopefully use this very soon. thank you for contributing!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

No prob man glad to help the team Sorry it took so long to get the right up posted.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

From personal experience I see this being pretty pointless. The stock system is more then enough for what 90% of the members are running. I don't see anyone here needing a stronger spark to jump a large plug gap to ignite fuel easier due to excessive mods.

It is a nice option though for people who actually do need it. Though it can be expensive if they go bad. 1 COP coil could cost $100 and they tend to go bad around the same time. Where 1 stock coil is also $100 but covers all 4 holes.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Put this in sideways!! Ouch! - Beodude123 thanks - outkastrooster mmmmm sausage!!!! lol - Zach :( sorry to hear that you no longer can get it up on your own. We are praying for ya - Zach 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Diesel World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TracerZX2 

Whats everyone find the coils at . Im pretty much finding them about 30 bucks

Is this worth it ?

2000 Yellow S/R- , FZ racing header,Full ES kit, tinted tails, pnp intake mani, pnp tb, Focus armrest, 03 Radio dash kit, LED swap in gauges, Recessbilly's Yellow stitched ebrake boot and shift boot, Zxtuner CF hood, CF cowl, Progress STB, Fez PC'ed 98 vc with SPC, ES mounts, Mfactory LSD, sedan 5th gear, Fidanza LW Flywheel,R1 Cross drilled and slotted rotors, PC'ed Front and rear hubs, PC'ed Front and rear calipers, PC'ed trans mount, Cougar door switch conversion, Rota 16" grids, corksport shifter bearings

On its way or stored in my garage
    03 front bumper conversion, ww kit,
    03 Explorer Sport Trac XLT

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    mmmmmm beer - ed-flip 

im starting my turbo build this week. the only thing i need now is my wideband

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    From personal experience I see this being pretty pointless. The stock system is more then enough for what 90% of the members are running. I don't see anyone here needing a stronger spark to jump a large plug gap to ignite fuel easier due to excessive mods.

It is a nice option though for people who actually do need it. Though it can be expensive if they go bad. 1 COP coil could cost $100 and they tend to go bad around the same time. Where 1 stock coil is also $100 but covers all 4 holes.
    This thread is to help people that want these on there car, weather or not YOU think they help is besides the point. I know they help.

I dont know where you get your parts from rock auto has these for $25 a piece. You will still need the electrical plugs from the junk yard.
    Last edited by conquest-king; 11-02-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Put this in sideways!! Ouch! - Beodude123 thanks - outkastrooster mmmmm sausage!!!! lol - Zach :( sorry to hear that you no longer can get it up on your own. We are praying for ya - Zach 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Diesel World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TracerZX2 

im seeing them on rock auto for 23 a clip

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Thats $22 and change with this discount http://www.teamzx2.com/showthread.php?t=20849

Thread Information