Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Stuff to Quiet Lifters???

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default Best Stuff to Quiet Lifters???

my motor has a bit of noise going on. im thinking its a lifter knock cuz it sounds very similar. ive used Lucas oil stabilizer to quiet lifters in the past, but it didnt work on this. anybody got some personal favorites or can recommend something?? ive heard Slick 50 and CD2 is pretty good. motors got 143k on her.
    2001 Cursed Black ZX2 ATX : Knock Mod: Keman Mod: DDM 4500k 35w HID's : 160k and still runnin strong now if only it was QUIETER!!!!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Have a beer and some booost - Alwayssideways werd - Alwayssideways 

Rislone Engine Treatment

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    thanks for all the info PnP'ing the head - DaviDawg A slice for the man - CJW For being the go to guy on PnP. - rascal 

The Zetec Tappet looks like a bucket ,sets upside down on the valve stem , it's hollow no hydraulics pressure inside.There could be a clearance problem from a worn lobe , you would have to check clearance to find out . You may have an injector ticking , they get kind of loud with age .

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

idk if its an injector (actuially i didnt know injectors could be noisy) it sounds mechanical like a "clacking" noise

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    for the superman of the zx2 savers - daggit2005 Henry Ford < Dareall - SR2000 For the entertaining builds...constantly :-) - CJW For being a great member and friend to many. - CJW you sir are awarded the medal of awsome - daggit2005 
    Scammer Slaughering Medal of Honor - Hardline this is for the candy ive got from you with my purchases the past few years. - blue99fordzx2 For moving/locking my post when asked :) - blue99fordzx2 Thx for helping me get my car put back together. - X-Lr8 It's lunch time here. lolz - rascal 
    For dealing with dumbass n00bs. - RASCAL How much for the trim piece? LOL - RASCAL 

Default Best Stuff to Quiet Lifters???

turning the key to the off position will quiet the car down.

or

you could check what johnp pointed out

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

as John P said, we do not have hydraulic lifters. Junk addatives are a waste of money with the quality of todays oils.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    happy b day - ZX2Fast 

Zetec engines are loud engines. Its possible you don't even have a problem
    01 T-red DD.
    01 Black Turbo, never runs.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

your not the first one to say that CT9A ive heard from many people these Zetecs are a bit noisy ( they vibrate quite a bit too ) idk im just gonna clean her out with some ATF or something (screw Motor Flush!!!) im a huge fan of SeaFoam so il try either that or some ATF in the oil. clean her right up!

il give that Rislone stuff a try maybe

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    i'll give you the real thing if you help me with my transmission! - zxtwou2 

If you use a big screw driver you can place your ear on the handle and touch it different parts of the motor and it works like a stethoscope. Like I said make sure its plenty long so your face isn't to close to get caught in fans or moving belts.

You could place it on the injectors etc.

As for a flush I prefer to drain a quart or two of oil out and refill with diesel and run at idle for around 5 mins. I have used it on every vehicle I have had and it really cleans it out. Some will argue it will remove good build up and cause leaks. I say if that is the case it needed to be replaced anyway and I have great success with it so thats my 2 cents.
    -Ben

'98 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5spd

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    For all the good info - ZX2OO7 You're one of the most helpful guys on here. Thanks! - Beodude123 most helpful as usual - gamma500 No Message - Meta 

ATF in the crankcase is a myth that died out decades ago.
    Tell me EXACTLY what additives or composition ATF has that you want in the engine, and for what purpose.

Any flush or cleaning will make ticking LOUDER in our engines.
    If you do want a safe and cheap flush, use Marvel Mystery Oill, and use a heavier engine oil to compensate for it, and bring the net viscosity up to normal. 1/2 qt to 1 qt is the right amount of MMO.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    To you as well :) - SoCalZX2 here ya go just checkin this out - pissdrunx16 What can I say, I love my Beer - 1981gMachine 

While we are on this topic. What were the good injectors again? For some reason I have something stuck in my head that they had 4 squirters where the old ones had 2. And what's the average life of injectors. Not to thread jack but it goes along with what's said.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I've heard ATF can quiet down lifter noise, and is an excellent pre-lube when rebuilding a motor.

2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 SR5 4X4 double cab long bed (daily driver and rescue vehicle for my racing team)
    2000 ZX2 (The KLDE block/KLZE head hybrid V6)
    1982 Suzuki GS1100L (when I want to be a badass)

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

ATF can be put into ANYTHING even to clean out a carb. you can even put a small amount in the fuel and itll lube the fuel system up. just not too much.

i just wanna put something in the motor that will shut it up for a while cuz i dont have the money to do any internal engine work as of right now (i still owe 900 on the car) this car is my pride and joy and i just want it to last.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I used to work at an Autozone. All of the knowledgeable mechanics used Chevron Techron. It really was completely unanimous among the good garages.
    Black 2000 S/R. K&N, P&P Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, 93 octane American gasoline, Kami header, 2.5" TruBendz w/magnaflow cat and a Thrush muffler, knocker mod, ES Motor mount inserts, 40% UDP, 130 Amp alternator. KYB Excel-G struts, Hankook Ventus V2 tires on Sport Max 15" rims, 120 Db sound system.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I'm leary of putting ATF in anything except an automatic transmission or maybe power steering.
    In the old days, kerosene was even used.
    I have my doubts that any kind of flush will do anything to quiet the engine.
    Flushes clean out sludge, which you shouldn't have in the first place as long as quality oil is used.
    Once upon a time, oils didn't have detergents. Then detergent oils came out and engines were lost because the gunk all went into the pan and blocked the oil pickup. Of course I don't see that happenning today.

Thread Information