Thread: Coolant FAQ — What does Ford say?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Glad to see you at Cyb's again. - zx2loon 

Default Coolant FAQ — What does Ford say?

Coolant FAQ — What does Ford say?
    October 2005 — Ford Motor Company released recently a dealer/distributor FAQ communication to address the concerns over using “universal” coolants. Below is the verbatim from the communication.

Some companies market a “Universal” coolant claiming that their product can be used for all vehicle applications. What is Ford’s position on the use of “Universal” coolants in Ford vehicles?
    Ford does not have performance data for the multitude of engine coolants available in the aftermarket and therefore cannot recommend the use of any coolant except those approved by Ford Motor Company.

Due to the complexity of cooling systems, no one coolant has been proven to work in all vehicles. “Universal” coolants generally do not contain silicates and nitrites, both of which are required for Ford vehicles equipped with Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant.

Thus, these “universal” coolants generally do not meet Ford’s coolant specification WSS-M97B51-A1.

Ford vehicles equipped with Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant, meeting Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A, require silicates and, in the case of diesel engines, the use of Motorcraft Diesel Cooling System Additive, VC-8, which contains nitrites. Thus, these “universal” coolants may not be suitable for use in vehicles originally equipped with Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant.

Based on blind laboratory ASTM testing performed in duplicate, two leading “universal” coolants currently in the marketplace did not meet the extended D2809 requirements of Ford’s Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant specification, WSS-M97B51-A1.

The “universal” coolants may not be compatible with Ford’s recommended supplemental coolant additive, Motorcraft Diesel Cooling System Additive, VC-8.

Use of non-approved “universal” coolants may lead to eventual engine damage or failure. Problems caused by use of non-approved “universal” coolant may not arise immediately, but may occur over longer periods of time due to additive compatibility issues.

Although the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty is not automatically voided upon the use of a non-approved coolant in Ford vehicles, if such use results in damage to the vehicle or its components, the cost of repairing the damage (and related damage) would not be covered by the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

What may be some of the consequences of using the wrong coolant?
    Reduced corrosion protection of cooling system components, incompatibility with engine gasket materials, corrosive attack of aluminum components, cylinder wall cavitation and engine block damage in diesel engines and potential water pump issues.

What are the primary coolant types Ford recommends for use in its vehicles?
    • Yellow-colored Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant, meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1
    • Green-colored Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant, meeting Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A
    • Orange-colored Motorcraft Specialty Orange Engine Coolant, meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B44-D
    What is the interchangeability of Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant and Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant? Can Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant be used to top off a vehicle equipped with Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant? Can Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant be used in vehicles equipped with Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant?
    Ford does not recommend mixing coolants. Green-colored Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant should not be used in vehicles except those originally equipped with it.

However, based on the results of backward compatibility testing, certain vehicles originally equipped with Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant can be serviced using the yellow-colored Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant as long as the following conditions are met:
    1. If the green-colored engine coolant is thoroughly flushed out of the cooling system and then the system is filled with yellow-colored engine coolant, the service maintenance (change-out) intervals of the yellow-colored engine coolant can be followed.
    2. If the green-colored engine coolant is not completely flushed out of the cooling system (e.g., yellow-colored engine coolant is used to top off the system), then the service maintenance (change-out) intervals of the green-colored engine coolant must be followed.
    3. All pre-1999 vehicles, as well as all model years of Mercury Villager, must be serviced with the green-colored engine coolant.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

So this means we should only use the Yellow-colored Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

"3. All pre-1999 vehicles, as well as all model years of Mercury Villager, must be serviced with the green-colored engine coolant."
    Where do you get the yellow premium gold coolant from?
    Btw update your sig you dont have that 98 anymore
    *Used to have a yellow S/R with headers, chip, intake and audio
    *I now drive a black Mazda RX-8 during summer and a white Subaru Legacy in the cold winter we have here in Quebec.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

lol yeah I know, but I dont have the photoshop original, Jo's the one who made it ya know :P

thx for the pre-99 thing lol... but zx2s are zx2s, and there is definitely 00+ zx2s. so what about them? :P

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Thanks for helping me out! - CraZx2ing No Message - beeph 

I've only ever used Prestone coolant in my cars... It's what they got at Walmart, lol. It seems to work fine for me. I get Motorcraft oil and oil filters, but didn't even know there was a Motorcraft coolant...
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Molten Orange

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

ive been using yellow forever.
    98' MTX - Bolt on.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    For all the good info - ZX2OO7 You're one of the most helpful guys on here. Thanks! - Beodude123 most helpful as usual - gamma500 No Message - Meta 

Green is OK if you keep it fresh and flushed. The high amounts of silicates will settle out from use. No Mfr uses it anymore, as far as I know. But I'd never let it go more than 2 years without a good flush and start over with all new.
    Silicates are great for when replacing the water pump, or a new head. The raw aluminum needs to be coated for protection from corrosion. This is one thing silicon does right.
    Our spec'd fluid is a DUAL organic acid technology compound. It has silicon for metal protection [just not heavy doses], and half new technology additives.
    G-05 is what we should use - it is a good fluid.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Just flushed my coolant system and switched over to the Motorcraft Gold. $15 for a gallon of it at my local dealership.
    Last edited by ademaZ; 09-19-2008 at 09:23 AM.
    '02 MTX

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    For those lonely nights without me. - MrWeeyums No Message - CJW 

Actually with the Gold"yellow" coolant it seems like we were having more problems at school with it then the green stuff. With this we had a new Taurus(04-05), that blew a heater core already. It was based on the coolant creating electrolysis within the system and ate away the heater core. We put green in all the cars that even had the extended coolant in it. Just keep it fresh and it should be good to go my teacher said. So I have went with that today. In fact I got rid of all the extended coolant in my cars and just keep up with them now days.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Here's a good little discussion on green vs gold:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...04#Post1231104

Thread Information