Thread: How waste-spark systems work.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Thanks for the how to video - texzetec A toast to Ron Paul :D - powder To you and your family bud. - RASCAL 

Default How waste-spark systems work.

A very interesting read. Ever wonder why we have two different spark plugs in our cars from the factory? Ever wonder why gimmik plugs cause a mis-fire in our cars? Check this out. If you know some basic principles of electricity, you'll understand our ignition system a lot more.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...07/ai_n8876015

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    fake money for the points - zxtwou2 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - gunman_sr5 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gunman_sr5 

There is some good info there. I needed to know about all of this 3 weeks ago though. I was confused as to how the car would run right with the plug wires on backwards. Thats when I learned how waste spark ignition worked.
    98 Black MTX (no options) retired at 339k miles. Kamikaze header,Fidanza flywheel,

02 black MTX (loaded) 141k miles. MMI intake, LXQ1, progress springs/SR struts, Otter strut bar, Powder UDP, 19mm RSB

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Additional info about DIS and EDIS ignition systems.
    2014 Ford CMax

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Thanks for the how to video - texzetec A toast to Ron Paul :D - powder To you and your family bud. - RASCAL 

Very nice. I like the diagram.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I just used all this info to beat some tool on FEOA over the head. They guy is a real asshole and thinks he is a god among cars and that we should all bow to him. The reason I posted this thread in the first place is because of how dumb this guy was acting.

For your reading enjoyment:
    http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name...wtopic&t=52465

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

The wasted spark EDIS system used by Ford is both elegant and problematic.

Elegant in that (unless one plug is shorted) both must fire and average current over the pulse must be equal, because the plugs are in series. Since the plug on the compression cycle takes more of the voltage, the energy on the plug on the compression stroke is greater than energy in the plug on the exhaust stroke.

Problematic, in that is you lose one plug you lose two cylinders.

I believe there is an aftermarket amplifier that connects to the EDIS plug that will fire four separate coils. You still fire the plug in the cylinder on the exhaust stroke, but since there are 4 separate coils if you lose one cylinder you don't lose the second.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

It is funny that our cars will run on 2 cylinders.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    mmmmm beer - CJW From me,  to you buddy !!! - Gunslinger Guess what's in the box.  Hint: It's brown, soft, and stinks a little. - CJW Its a box of KL parts. - MrWeeyums Cause I can.. - zx2loon 
    nice meeting u 2 - blue_2001 Balllliiiiiiinnnnnnn! lol - 2000zx2chik For my Daughter - zx2loon Thanks for the Altezzas - DOUGIESTYL Dougie said your truck needs this. lulz - rascal 
    Have a beer brah! - rascal 
    Childhood Cancer - zx2loon 

Took me a while to read everything. I'd heard about the positive/negative thing, I just never knew how or why it works. Thanks for posting the info guys...

Now, as far as the dork on FEOA, it's always been dicks like that, that made me stop posting there. It's like trying to explain why water is wet to a brick wall.......good bitch slap to the punk though.....

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

lol, yeah.

There is some high school kid now trying to tell me that it can't fire negative. He didn't even read the articles but since he is in high school, he already knows more then I do.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I whacked him on the head and gave him a FAIL. Half the people in the thread haven't read or don't understand the links. What they fail to grasp is current must flow in one direction around the circuit. In the example given, the end of the coil connected to plug #1 or #2 has a high negative potential relative to the end connected to #4 or #3.

In #4 or #3, current must flow from ground, sparking to the center electrode then through the coil, then from the center electrode in #1 or #2 to ground completing the circuit.

It is simple and a 5th grader taught basic electricity should understand the concept. Some of the people in that thread aren't smarter than a 5th grader.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JonsZX2SR; 06-30-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Hope you enjoyed the "dragon" - zx2loon Me wubbz joo too!! - zx2loon Congrats bro!! - rascal get 'em done - GoT MiLF? Unicorn hood ornament! lol - rascal 
    Thanks for the rubber superman! wait... - Gitt24_84 For those rare times when you don't have sand in the vag... - Big Mizz 

I'm kickin' Mrs. Davis, my fifth grade teacher, because I can't wrap my mind around all the elec. stuff. I know pos./neg. I comprende resistance. Watts,volts, and amps exsist, but I'll be damn if can figure out how they relate to each other. I'm going to dig a hole...

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Jon, that was epic.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I wonder if this is why 2 of my spark plus (the two cylinders away from the tranny) had the center electrode worn down to almost nothing while the other two were just fine? Any thoughts?
    K&N Typhoon Intake, 4-2-1 header, 2.5" custom header back exhaust, HKS Carbon/Ti muffler, MSD blaster coil, 9mm Ford Racing wires, NGK Iridium plugs, Fidanza Flywheel, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, Ground Control Coil-overs, Tokico S/R shocks, Rear disk brake conversion, Slotted and cross-drilled rotors, Short-shifter, Tenzo-R Poke-10 18x7.5 (gunmetal) =Þ

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

That could be it. This is why Ford reccomends double platinum in thier newer cars.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

that was one of the best schoolings I have witnessed online lol good job zx2fast and jon..

I hate people like that
    99 ZX2 MTX, Header, exhaust, intake, knock mod, 17' Tenzo Shu 4s wrapped on 205/40/17 Falkens.

Thread Information