Thread: White Smoke Emitting From the Exhaust Pipe

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default White Smoke Emitting From the Exhaust Pipe

OK a lil information about this car.

I purchased a 2000 Ford ZX2 with a 2.0 L Zetec engine exactly 1 year ago with 186,000 from a " So Called Mechanic " for 600.00 the car now has 256,000 on it. Any how this car has run great with a few minor fixes.

Fixes:

Power Steering Pump & Hoses
    Alternator
    Serpentine Belt
    Battery
    Fuses
    Dash Board Rewiring
    New Aftermarket Tail Lights
    Thermostat
    AC Compressor
    Aftermarket JVC Radio
    New Tires & Rims
    New Pressure Lines
    New TPS Sensor
    New Trans Range Sensor
    New On-Board Computer
    Stage 2 Racing chip

Current Issue: I was on a long trip I knew the radiator had a small leak in it and today the radiator decided to go. In this I mean it decided to shatter the out pipe connect area leading to the thermostat.
    Also not sure why but the serpentine belt went with it at the same time I guess they had a date together.
    So after purchasing a New Duralast Radiator, Serpentine Belt and about 5 hours of work on the side of the road & new antifreeze. She was back running once more.
    I noticed that she was running a lil hot sitting idled so I gave it about 1 hour and half I would say and she was stable and running smooth once more like she had before.
    I got back on the road and head home on my way home she was running a little hotter then normal but nothing serious.
    I got home and she was still running good so I parked her and checked her fluids once more and made sure she was good and went in the house to clean up.
    Upon returning to my baby when I cranked her up she was running rough once more as she had earlier. I poped the hood and checked for leaks and such and found none of the sort.
    Radiator still full of fluid and reservoir still at the max level.
    Checked her fluids oil and such everything checked out and stable.
    I return to the driver seat to see that she was running at normal running temp but still with a really rough idle.
    Gave a little gas up around about 1500 RPM's and she acted as if it was going to cut off. Upon looking in my rearview mirror I noticed that there was smoke or so it seemed coming from the tail pipe.
    So I went to the back of the car to check and see if I could identify the smoke only to find out it is antifreeze so not smoke but steam.

Question: With the installation of a new radiator, fluids, belt is it possible that I could have a blown head gasket that I am now facing having to fix on this car? I do all the work my self and welcome help and input on all levels.
    If any one has any idea on how to fix this situation or even just knowledge on if it is the head gasket or if it could be something else I would greatly appreciate the information.

Also I have been thinking of changing out the head gasket any how so if any one has any information on how I can perform that task or even if any one lives close by in the area of Durham, North Carolina that may be willing to give me a hand with getting my baby right please contact me.

Thank You

Daidyn

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    for the superman of the zx2 savers - daggit2005 Henry Ford < Dareall - SR2000 For the entertaining builds...constantly :-) - CJW For being a great member and friend to many. - CJW you sir are awarded the medal of awsome - daggit2005 
    Scammer Slaughering Medal of Honor - Hardline this is for the candy ive got from you with my purchases the past few years. - blue99fordzx2 For moving/locking my post when asked :) - blue99fordzx2 Thx for helping me get my car put back together. - X-Lr8 It's lunch time here. lolz - rascal 
    For dealing with dumbass n00bs. - RASCAL How much for the trim piece? LOL - RASCAL 

this problem does sound like it may be your head gasket. This job should take about 3-4 hours but plan on half the day so you can take your time in case anything comes up
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Jackson-Percy
    I know how to do car stuff because I got this readers digest book and the intranet
    Quote Originally Posted by tje2015 View Post
    oh btw, Dareall is the man, he hooked me up with a wiring harness and shipping was fast, excellent packaging and he does great work.

Dareall sale thread here (BEST THREAD EVER!!!)

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Now I have not ever replaced this gasket and I do know that it is part wise about 44.00 dollars which is not bad at all. But In Order for me to do it I need a little more information on the process of completing this task. In that meaning like timing information and if I need to worried about any thing specific and if so what do i need to worried about? What if any other problems I might be looking at as well possibly being the issue before I go and take this block apart. Any like DIY diagrams or information and Idea of tools that will be needed in order to do this.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Auto zone and the other part house carry the haynes and chiltons manuals. Buy one. It has all of the torque sequences, specs, and tells you how to set the engine back into time. Its not a hard process, ive done it with other engines, and currently am replacing the hg on my z. Those books come in handy for almost every issue that you can have with a vehicle.

Thread Information