Thread: F4A-EL Transmission Support

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default F4A-EL Transmission Support

I posted this in the newb treads but its just not getting much attention. So I'm putting it here.

So, I have been looking through the threads for a collection of beneficial information about the F4A-EL transmission in the zx2's. I can find bits of good information here and there but it seems to be scarce and tainted with manual transmission praising.

I am looking for information on the difference between the 98/99 transmission vs 00-03. Is the difference something that can be overcame and is it worth putting a 00+ in the 99- zx2's.

Where is a good place to get rebuild and diagnostics information about the F4A and shortcuts for removing and installing it. Also, where are good places to get replacement parts and what parts can and should be upgraded to ensure a better and longer lasting transmission.

How-to's about little tricks about how to tune the operations of the transmission, i.e. shift points, line pressures, accumulator spring tensions, and whatnot.

If there is a tread like this somewhere, Please point me to it. If not, where should I start this thread?

Thank you,

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I have heard that the 2003 zx2 Transmission has stronger shift forks so it can take more abuse.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

You are talking about the manual transmission Kazoku which is G5M he is refferring to the F4A-EL which is an automatic transmission. I am not too familiar with them but I believe someone here once worked on one and upgraded theirs with the help of level 10 not really sure. You really should do a quick search on auto transmissions and torque converters. I do believe your thread should be moved to another area as this is for those who actually installed parts and have something to say about said part such as a review.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I rode with MarkyV (old teamzx2 member) from PA and he had the level 10 in his ZX2. It was just a pain in the ass to drive and then push a button on a remote handheld device. If he didn't want to manually push buttons he had to open his hood and disconnect a wire so it would shift automatically, but at factory ecu specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by david gettle View Post
    I had a claim last year because I hit a frozen pile of manure
    2000 ZX2 w/ '95 Mazda Millenia KL V6 swap, '00 Mazda Miata rear brakes, MegaSquirtPNP (with VAF delete/IAT mod, and AEM Wideband w/ Bosch 4.9 sensor) '00 626 MTX w/ platemod and Mfactory diff, custom DSS 500hp axles, AWR solid trans mounts, trans brace delete mod (for turbo kit provision) , KLG4 IM, MX3 GS brake booster/master combo, ebay headers, ebay CAI system, Ford Racing ZX2 inverted coilovers, Cusco camber plates all around, custom made traction bars mounted to frame rails, body kit, 2 tone paint, etc...

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Gald to see you at Cyb's again. - zx2loon You've earned this one! - Big Mizz 

He must have had the atx controller from level10, that allows manual shifting. The "normal" upgrade they do is to the valve bodies, springs, and torque converter according to information I got from talking with their founder at All-Ford Nationals about 4 years ago....

For tuning info read my tuning blog.... (Work in progress)
    Last edited by david gettle; 09-23-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    My car is a collectable according to PennDOT

My car has had two owners: Ford Motor Company and Me.

http://www.degettlehobbyllc.com

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

He told me he spent a good amount of money on it, before he even did motor work. Ended up parting it out. With the manual shifting it did shift surprisingly instant.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Gald to see you at Cyb's again. - zx2loon You've earned this one! - Big Mizz 

About $2,500.00 or so If I remember correctly, I had asked him about it.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by david gettle View Post
    About $2,500.00 or so If I remember correctly, I had asked him about it.
    Remember the dude a long time ago who did the level ten. Biggest gripe he had was that he did a higher stall tq converter. This resulted in him having to go faster in order to get better gas mileage. But if you are looking for a do it once fix I can't think of a better way to do it.

Thread Information