Thread: broken transmission pan bolt

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default broken transmission pan bolt

I broke one off under the belly band. it's recessed in the hole. Problem is I cant drill it cuz the belly band makes the drill bit a little crooked, and the chuck grinds up against it.

Any ideas how to get this out? Will one broken transmission pan bolt cause a leak?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

If it's a corner yeah, if its in the middle probably not. If you get a drill bit extender you can reach it, they are usually less then $10 at hardware stores.

2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 SR5 4X4 double cab long bed (daily driver and rescue vehicle for my racing team)
    2000 ZX2 (The KLDE block/KLZE head hybrid V6)
    1982 Suzuki GS1100L (when I want to be a badass)

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Look online and find a long #1 center drill (.125 dia.); they are much less likely to wander off center.
    I found one in a few seconds using Google Image-"long center drill"

If you're drilling out a 10mm you might get by with the center drill and a tap.
    This is the only view you should see when on the road with my S/R!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by Defunct S/R owner View Post
    Look online and find a long #1 center drill (.125 dia.); they are much less likely to wander off center.
    I found one in a few seconds using Google Image-"long center drill"

If you're drilling out a 10mm you might get by with the center drill and a tap.
    I just skipped it. I torqued the other bolts a little extra hard instead. Anyway, the car is shifting a bit strange now. I fine-tuned the fluid level and its a little better, but I was wondering if it's normal for a car to take time to adjust to a filter change, or is this transmission on the way out.

There was quite a bit of goop in the bottom of the pan and metal shavings on the magnets, the fluid was a little darker than normal, but not smelling burnt.

It's ATX I used mercon V synthetic. 62k miles, 2001. First transmission service.

The RPMS might go up to 3000 in 1st-2nd very occasionally. The transmission was never great in the first place to be honest.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by beeph View Post
    I just skipped it. I torqued the other bolts a little extra hard instead. Anyway, the car is shifting a bit strange now. I fine-tuned the fluid level and its a little better, but I was wondering if it's normal for a car to take time to adjust to a filter change, or is this transmission on the way out.

There was quite a bit of goop in the bottom of the pan and metal shavings on the magnets, the fluid was a little darker than normal, but not smelling burnt.

It's ATX I used mercon V synthetic. 62k miles, 2001. First transmission service.

The RPMS might go up to 3000 in 1st-2nd very occasionally. The transmission was never great in the first place to be honest.
    Time to invest in a MTX swap. $300 from a junkyard, plus the rods and the shifter base, and axles.

Thread Information