Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 76 to 86 of 86

Thread: Free horsepower through weight reduction & ZETEC Engine Dimensions

  1. #76

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    0
    Points
    4,751
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    4,751
    Donate  

    Default

    so far iv removed the A/C system, PS system, and the Cruise control (which weighs a pound at least) and i have light weight wheels. The amount of room i have now in my engine bay is great to and engine swaps should be super easy.

  2. #77

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13
    Points
    4,265
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    4,265
    Donate  

    Default

    Hello, I am new to posting in forums. Apologies in advanced if its to long. I have a 99 zx2 with MTX. I have reduced the weight of my ZX2 by 162.4 lbs and I haven't even been under the hood yet and even added 2g industrial wire to rear for a battery and installed my own made aluminum battery box(4.9 lbs for bot, 2 lbs for wire.).

    -All interior decor, everything in trunk, outer dash plates, rear bench rests. put 03 hood on(seems to be lighter by 4 lbs. unless the paint was heavier. my exhaust from just under the manual shifter fell so i weighed the pipe and muffler in that too. loud but my state only requires cat be left alone.

    - Basically from the dash back, I have 2 leather seats, 4 speakers. the manual windows, (oh and my 2 seat belts in front) OEM wiring. Glad i choose my 99 for cutting cause tim sure my 03's sun roof adds about 10 lbs. There you go. I weighed everything. My next goal is to:

    -balance weight removal by putting battery in trunk. and installing a 4 point roll cage. Yes it will add wight but its a balance. car will be more rigid.
    -remove unnessesary accessories and put idler pulleys.
    -remove dash, gauges, SRS system and start to fine tune every nut and bolt and bracket out thats unecessary. btw Im still street legal and I have spent zero dollars.
    -add a foam 8 gallon fuel cell in trunk. Will cost around 100 bucks if i can find one.

    If you have any specific questions I have the weight for every item pulled. Also going to run over the scales before the roll cage and after everything under hood and rest of front cabin are done. Thank you.

  3. #78

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,484
    Points
    347,155
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    347,155
    Donate  
    A beer for ya bro! - rascal Just cause. lol - rascal You passed! lolz - RASCAL 

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eireannach View Post
    Hello, I am new to posting in forums. Apologies in advanced if its to long. I have a 99 zx2 with MTX. I have reduced the weight of my ZX2 by 162.4 lbs and I haven't even been under the hood yet and even added 2g industrial wire to rear for a battery and installed my own made aluminum battery box(4.9 lbs for bot, 2 lbs for wire.).

    -All interior decor, everything in trunk, outer dash plates, rear bench rests. put 03 hood on(seems to be lighter by 4 lbs. unless the paint was heavier. my exhaust from just under the manual shifter fell so i weighed the pipe and muffler in that too. loud but my state only requires cat be left alone.

    - Basically from the dash back, I have 2 leather seats, 4 speakers. the manual windows, (oh and my 2 seat belts in front) OEM wiring. Glad i choose my 99 for cutting cause tim sure my 03's sun roof adds about 10 lbs. There you go. I weighed everything. My next goal is to:

    -balance weight removal by putting battery in trunk. and installing a 4 point roll cage. Yes it will add wight but its a balance. car will be more rigid.
    -remove unnessesary accessories and put idler pulleys.
    -remove dash, gauges, SRS system and start to fine tune every nut and bolt and bracket out thats unecessary. btw Im still street legal and I have spent zero dollars.
    -add a foam 8 gallon fuel cell in trunk. Will cost around 100 bucks if i can find one.

    If you have any specific questions I have the weight for every item pulled. Also going to run over the scales before the roll cage and after everything under hood and rest of front cabin are done. Thank you.
    Why are you doing this? Because you wantz to be fast and furious?

  4. #79

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamel, IL (STL area)
    Posts
    20,770
    Points
    447,371
    Bank
    1,018,711,103
    Total Points
    1,019,158,474
    Donate  
    Alaskan Amber - zxtwou2 Guinness for Tim.... enjoy - ZZZX2 night shift snack - texzetec Alaskan amber. Enjoy it. - capitalcrew 5 transmissions in 85k miles. - zxtwou2 
    For doin a kick ass job on my v/c - blue_2001 so you can forget about your sore balls! - 2000zx2chik Heres a sammich - Duffurban36 Its your birthday , heres a cookie - Alwayssideways No Message - 00escortowner 
    GC info help Thanks! - DOUGIESTYLE 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - zxtwou2 

    Default

    i'd never drive a vehicle with a roll cage on the streets. roll cage = wear a helmet.
    2000 S/R FSP build: APC shift knob, LED tails, zx2 sticker on the rear bumper, Silverstar headlights, blue spark plug wires, optima red top battery, Magnaflow muffler, and some lowering springs.

  5. #80

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13
    Points
    4,265
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    4,265
    Donate  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zxtwou2 View Post
    i'd never drive a vehicle with a roll cage on the streets. roll cage = wear a helmet.
    I am installing a low cuto roll cage for now. It will have the bar behind seat to body and have Low bar from behind seat to fire wall. My seat back plate my head will not reach roll cage. As I said its a work in progress. Im putting it on track for Sport COmpact racing. later on When I get money Ill start to build my new engine. then start to get into light mod class. finish 10 point and start modding the suspension.

  6. #81

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13
    Points
    4,265
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    4,265
    Donate  

    Default

    No, Im doing this because I can and because I am planning on making the ultimate on track zx2 in my area. This is not a street car. Its a race car in the making. Just letting people know all the mods they can do. that are free like the post heading says. weight reduction

  7. #82

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    zx2less
    Posts
    304
    Points
    25,298
    Bank
    81
    Total Points
    25,380
    Donate  

    Default

    so a sub 2000lb zx2 is possible

  8. #83

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    83
    Points
    27,274
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    27,274
    Donate  

    Default

    Our WRL-spec race car corner-weighed at 2130-lb in 2017, with front/rear split of 64.5%/35.1%. Now this includes a full 6-pt cage
    For 2018, we have currently shed another nearly 50-lbs and looking for more.

    This near 50-lbs came from:
    1) Switching to a Deka powersports battery (6.5 lbs battery) which we estimate was about 15-lb savings
    2) We went ape-nuts on the already-gutted doors and found another 24-lbs of weight out of the doors (including the crash bars which are about 5-lbs each)
    3) the rest is little things here and there. We bought a spot-weld removing drill bit, and have been removing unnecessary brackets and metal)

  9. #84

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    569
    Points
    68,895
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    68,895
    Donate  

    Default

    My cars wieght with an an 8 point roll cage. 1.5" .120 wall DOM tubing. 3 drivers door bars concaved to the skin with 1/8" plate covering the drivers door. 2 passenger doors bars concaved to the the skin as well. Overall wieght with me in was 2295. (My weight 190ish). FL 806. FR 639. LR 414. RR 436. Rear on the scales was 37.04%.

  10. #85

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    83
    Points
    27,274
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    27,274
    Donate  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gotts2bme View Post
    My cars wieght with an an 8 point roll cage. 1.5" .120 wall DOM tubing. 3 drivers door bars concaved to the skin with 1/8" plate covering the drivers door. 2 passenger doors bars concaved to the the skin as well. Overall wieght with me in was 2295. (My weight 190ish). FL 806. FR 639. LR 414. RR 436. Rear on the scales was 37.04%.
    Interesting. Driver, you, are 30-lbs lighter, leaving an extra 40-lbs unaccounted for, and most of the unaccounted wt is off the front.
    zx2compare.GIF

  11. #86

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    83
    Points
    27,274
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    27,274
    Donate  

    Default

    Rear wing on the ZX2 weighs 3-lbs, 6-oz.
    Truck Struts on trunk weight 1-lb, 8-oz.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •