Thread: Road America PDX Video: 10/18/13.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default Road America PDX Video: 10/18/13.

FSP prepped ZX2 on 15x9 225/45-15 Hankook RS3s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-GoKPCUv2Y

I guess I forgot to post this last year...so here it is. This was the debut of the "full" FSP build on the big track. Had full aero/suspension/motor this time around. Kind of fun around the 3:40-3:55 mark...

Erik B. (_/\_ -Head)
    Wisconsin Autocrossers, Inc.
    www.waiautox.org

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - EnergyBlue98 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - EnergyBlue98 

Dude, you're amazing! some great driving skills you've got there. I'm looking into doing actual track racing here pretty soon so I can get my zx2 to actually stretch it's legs. few questions for you...

What steering wheel is that? and what steering wheel adaptor?
    are you running square 225? why not 245 front and 225 rear?
    What did you use to make your front splitter and how did you know where to put it? I'm looking to potentially make a front splitter but i'd want it to be as functional as possible.
    Was this just a cruise event driving with an instructor?
    What kind of power mods do you have?

JE Pistons, Eagle Rods, heat treated crank, john p ported head, on my fifth transmission (MFactory LSD), 12.5" Wilwood Brakes, Roush/Turbonetics turbo, 17x7.5 Volk TE-37's, 60lb seimens injectors, deatschwerks 300m fuel pump, 38mm Tial Wastegate, 6 puck clutch, megasquirt 3, Ground Control coilovers, wings west lip kit, and not enough time to work on it.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Thank you.

1) What steering wheel is that? and what steering wheel adaptor?
    It's a cheapo eBay wheel. I believe that it used a Momo bolt pattern--used Mazda BG (MX3/Protege/323) application as I recall

2)Are you running square 225? why not 245 front and 225 rear?
    The setup run in that video is a 15x9 225/45-15 Hankook RS3 (street tires). They did not/do not make a "street" tire in a 245--that is a new Hoosier size.

3)What did you use to make your front splitter and how did you know where to put it? I'm looking to potentially make a front splitter but i'd want it to be as functional as possible.
    The splitter is aluminum. We made a cardboard mockup as templates and then cut it out of metal. The braces are by Longacre...can be purchased at auto race supply house (Pegasus). Lots of trial and error. There are photos in the FSP thread that show the mounting brackets. It is mounted by small bolts and nylock nuts. There is a reinforcement piece behind the front grill opening as well; the whole splitter comes off as an assembly in about 10-15 minutes...needs to for trailering.

4)Was this just a cruise event driving with an instructor?
    The event is called "Drive for Babies", and it is a sanctioned SCCA PDX. Passing is allowed at RA between T14 and T1, and again between T3 and T5...no other passing allowed. I am driving in the video and my co-owner/driver is riding shotgun. We are both SCCA PDX instructors...and at the event we are allowed to take our cars out in the afternoon after all of the other drivers/participants have been signed-off by an instructor. I have 2 seasons of wheel-to-wheel race experience in ITA/Spec7, and have won two races--RA and BHF in 1999. I have been autocrossing seriously since 1993...did my 1st event in 1988! (yeah I'm old)

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - EnergyBlue98 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - EnergyBlue98 

That explains why you're so good! I've been auto crossing since 2008, but only seriously getting into it now. I've only done maybe 10 events.. but with the turbo, it isn't really competitive in small autox tracks which is why i want to get into more open tracks. VIR (Viriginia international raceway) is really close to me and I've got a connection with the manager there. There's an event coming up in march where I can ride with an instructor around the course for 15 mins for $50 so i'll be doing that. Is there anything else you'd recommend I do to get more into this?

MORE QUESTIONS:

1. My car is clearly out of FSP.. what do you know about SMF and SSM classes? I think mine falls in SSM but I might be able to squeeze into SMF but the darn rulebook is so confusing..

2. If you could run 245 front and 225 rear, would you? also, i think 16" is the smallest I can run with the willwoods, do they make the RS3's in that size? Is that the tire you'd recommend? I'm not sure I want hoosiers just because I don't think I'll be able to properly warm them up. While I want to get into more road racing, the autox events are just so much easier to go to so I'm definitely still going to be doing a ton of those.

3. How did you determine that the splitter was going to be more aerodynamic? It provides front downforce? I'm not sure I see why, it almost looks like it's just blocking the air and adding more forward resistance?

btw, that black porsche that was in front of you at the end.... couldn't stop laughing at how much better than him you are. he would punch it on the straight and you'd see the crazy amount of power he had and then you would catch right back up to him when he came to a turn hahahaha

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by EnergyBlue98 View Post
    That explains why you're so good! I've been auto crossing since 2008, but only seriously getting into it now. I've only done maybe 10 events.. but with the turbo, it isn't really competitive in small autox tracks which is why i want to get into more open tracks. VIR (Viriginia international raceway) is really close to me and I've got a connection with the manager there. There's an event coming up in march where I can ride with an instructor around the course for 15 mins for $50 so i'll be doing that. Is there anything else you'd recommend I do to get more into this?

MORE QUESTIONS:

1. My car is clearly out of FSP.. what do you know about SMF and SSM classes? I think mine falls in SSM but I might be able to squeeze into SMF but the darn rulebook is so confusing..

2. If you could run 245 front and 225 rear, would you? also, i think 16" is the smallest I can run with the willwoods, do they make the RS3's in that size? Is that the tire you'd recommend? I'm not sure I want hoosiers just because I don't think I'll be able to properly warm them up. While I want to get into more road racing, the autox events are just so much easier to go to so I'm definitely still going to be doing a ton of those.

3. How did you determine that the splitter was going to be more aerodynamic? It provides front downforce? I'm not sure I see why, it almost looks like it's just blocking the air and adding more forward resistance?
    I know very little about those classes, though my understanding is that they are pretty liberal.

On the 9" wheels, yes I think a 245/225 setup would be good--but the 245 is a Hoosier size. If you want to stay with "street tires", look at the Tirerack and see what they have in the "Extreme Performance Summer" category (RS3/Rival/R1R). Find a size that works. 16's are getting a bit hard to find. If your brakes need bigger, you might consider a 17". The 15's allow for 23" tires--the 205/50, the 225/45 and the 275/35 are all 23". (OE is 24"). In under 24" sizes there are 215/45-16 and 225/45-16 and 215/40-17...but just over 24" is 235/40-17. Toyo makes a R1R in a 23.8" 245/35-17...that might be the ticket.

The idea of a splitter is to "pack air" on the front of the car to create downforce. The air hits the vertical element and then is pushed down on the "deck". I'm sure if you Google "splitter", there will be some more scientific info. Ours is a driveway effort for sure--and we have to be aware of some specific rules in that regard. It does block air from going under the car--and in so doing prevents lift. Look at the cross section of the body profile--its much like a wing.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Interesting. I was afraid 17's are what I have to stick with. That's what i've got now with my Volks, but they're just a 7.5" wheel with BFG sport comp 2's, which is just a summer street tire. I wanted to get a separate set for the track, and 16's would be a tad lighter, but i'd rather have the tire contact patch wider than to have lighter wheels so, we'll see.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

You could run a staggered setup...17"s in front and 15"s in back.

This was our car back in 2008.

You could try Toyo T1R 235/35-17 on 17x9(.5) in front and 15x8 in back (w/ 225/45-15)

Staggered setups are pretty common in autocross--where rotation is sought. On a track, might be best to stay with 17's all-around and stay with 235/225 setup.
    Last edited by STS-ZX2SR; 01-22-2015 at 07:17 AM.

Thread Information