Thread: zx2 trans problem.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default zx2 trans problem.

I have a 5 speed with 70000 mile and a new dif when i purchased it.Now i only put about 10000 miles on it. I drove it very hard and at first it took the beating but now 2nd gear will "lock" you out every once in a while when shifting fast. It feels like it goes in but its really not. blew my first engine because of it with no rev limiter. On the 2nd engine build i am more cautious and have a limiter, but sometimes when normal driving it will fight me to get into 2nd and has made a popping noise once that shook the whole car. I am thinking it is either the 2nd gear syncro or shift fork. What do you guys think? Also how hard is it to rebuild the G5m. I have 3 and should be able to peice one good one together.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Same files I used to rebuild my 2000 Mazda 626 trans. As long as your good with taking things apart and putting them back together, it is pretty straight forward. I just finished my rebuild a couple months ago with steel plate mod and mfactory lsd.
    Quote Originally Posted by david gettle View Post
    I had a claim last year because I hit a frozen pile of manure

2000 ZX2 w/ '95 Mazda Millenia KL V6 swap, MegaSquirtPNP (with VAF delete/IAT mod, and AEM Wideband w/ Bosch 4.9 sensor) '00 626 MTX w/ platemod and Mfactory diff, custom DSS 500hp axles, AWR solid trans mounts, trans brace delete mod (for turbo kit provision) , KLG4 IM, MX3 GS brake booster/master combo, ebay headers, ebay CAI system, Ford Racing ZX2 inverted coilovers, Cusco camber plates all around, custom made traction bars mounted to frame rails, body kit, 2 tone paint, etc...

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Also if your going to mix and match cases or shafts, get a dial indicator and measure your shaft end freeplay (when case is back together minus 5th gear cover). Get it within spec, worn out bearing races will add to freeplay, too much free play and your gears will spread more, when gears spread more teeth will get chipped off due to less contact. Anything between .001" to .005" is good. I had to re-shim mine because my case was shaved down for the steel plate mod, went out of spec by .020" or something like that.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Thank you for the info

Thread Information