Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The zx2

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default The zx2

It all started with a 99 zx2 with 110000 miles, I was forced to buy from my brother. It was white ,automatic , rusty and very worn out. So I decided to fix everything stock. I did the entire front end and rear. Axles, brakes, suspension, rack/tierods, ball joints, wheel bearings, radiator, engine tune up. Etc...Then my buddy talked me into making it fast. I took it apart and was in the process of rebuilding the engine stock. I was going to fix the rust but decided it was to far gone. I stole all the parts I could and found myself a rust free 5 speed with a blown motor. The pistons were cracked in three cylinders. I put my new engine in with a new clutch. I bought some high torque cams, xcal2, vct delete, cwq3 pcm, and eslinger adjustable cam gears from ttfowia. I did the 2.5 straight pipe, obx header, Megan racing muffler, es bushings, manzo springs, kyb struts, msd ignition, cold air, 93 race tune, udp, strut tower bar, bigger injectors( one started leaking and hydrolocked the engine when I tried to start it) , installed stock injectors with a re-tune. Maybe a few other things but I can't think of them.

I drove 10000 miles on the engine and I beat the crap out of it and had a blast. I decided to take it up north camping with my brother and a buddy with a 2014 v6 mustang. The whole time we raced whenever we could, I had him until 3rd gear. I missed second gear once and the engine went to 8000 or more. On the way home 3.5 hours into the trip I was just cruising at 75. Then I heard a pop, oil light came on, and smoke behind the car. Luckily I was able to go home with my buddy in the mustang. The car was towed to my other grandmas cabin about 30 miles away and put in the garage. This was the aftermath.

I bought a used s/r engine and I decided to go all out. I got 11to 1 je pistons, eagle rods, clevite bearings, arp studs, refreshed the head, aluminum flywheel, spec stage 2 clutch, my 5th set of axles( all warranty), and motor mount inserts. I had to build the car on the weekends and I had to drive 3.5 hours to work on it. There is more stuff done I just can't remember it all. I had to lease a regular focus so I could get to work while the zx2 was down.

A few months after the zx2 was done I had to put it away for shitty Michigan weather.I had 1 year left on the lease and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. My brother and I were on our way home from work going about 75 in the focus. All of a sudden we were rear ended by a drunk guy going 110ish. We walked away with only a bruise.

I ended up leasing a 2016 f150.

Now I am running out of funds and the project is slowing but it is still alive just needs intake upgrades, tune, lsd, parts swapped over and a few other things.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Very nice. Any dyno numbers or at least butt dyno opinions?

John

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I have 185 all season tires that are still new but not the best and if I floor it in first it will squeal the tire from 4 to 7000 chirp second and third on a shitty tune. My buddy has a 2014 v6 mustang with headers exhaust 93 race tune cold air and he wouldn't pass me until 90 to 100 from a roll of about 15. Good tire and a tune hopefully soon to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Just bought a svt intake manifold and will be installing next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Turn out I get my garage back from my brother in a few weeks. I will be taking it apart again and upgrading the trans and axles. Then I wanna spray 100 shot. It should be fun. Once this engine blows I will be doing an ecoboost swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Looking forward to the ecoboost swap.
    Quote Originally Posted by david gettle View Post
    I had a claim last year because I hit a frozen pile of manure
    2000 ZX2 w/ '95 Mazda Millenia KL V6 swap, '00 Mazda Miata rear brakes, MegaSquirtPNP (with VAF delete/IAT mod, and AEM Wideband w/ Bosch 4.9 sensor) '00 626 MTX w/ platemod and Mfactory diff, custom DSS 500hp axles, AWR solid trans mounts, trans brace delete mod (for turbo kit provision) , KLG4 IM, MX3 GS brake booster/master combo, ebay headers, ebay CAI system, Ford Racing ZX2 inverted coilovers, Cusco camber plates all around, custom made traction bars mounted to frame rails, body kit, 2 tone paint, etc...

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I just have to decide on the 1.6 or the 2.0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Chillinzx2 still have that focus head with a missing valve?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Still have that focus head with missing valve

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Looks like I will be getting a FRIM from a ford guy at my work for 300$.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Zomg you haz treasure for Christmas - 2000zx2chik 

awesome find!

let me know if you come across any more for that price! lol

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I finally get my garage back from my brother. I am going to be rebuilding the trans with a lsd, going through the engine to make sure the build is holding up after 5000 miles/ Double checking the ring clearances for nitrous, buying a nitrous kit (100 shot) and running e85. Hopefully it will be done by the end of summer with some dyno numbers.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

head gasket didn't hold

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    for the superman of the zx2 savers - daggit2005 Henry Ford < Dareall - SR2000 For the entertaining builds...constantly :-) - CJW For being a great member and friend to many. - CJW you sir are awarded the medal of awsome - daggit2005 
    Scammer Slaughering Medal of Honor - Hardline this is for the candy ive got from you with my purchases the past few years. - blue99fordzx2 For moving/locking my post when asked :) - blue99fordzx2 Thx for helping me get my car put back together. - X-Lr8 It's lunch time here. lolz - rascal 
    For dealing with dumbass n00bs. - RASCAL How much for the trim piece? LOL - RASCAL Absolute hero. I cannot imagine how helpful and kind a person Dareall is.  THANK YOU. - SoCalZx2Rob For doing my part out and finally getting the parts sold.  I owe it all to you.  Thanks Dareall.  I'll never forget it.  Thank god it's finally done.  XD - SoCalZx2Rob 

that sucks. at least you have a 98 head so you dont have to buy a new idler pulley when your replace the head gasket
    We're gonna ride the race cars
    We're gonna dance on fire

Best sale thread ever !!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Chocolate Milk of Death! Bummer!

John

Thread Information