Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TheEvilZX2

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Zomg you haz treasure for Christmas - 2000zx2chik 

Capped off the check valve to the IM and PCV system is currently venting to atmosphere.

Got the tuner in the other day. Got home yesterday and managed to flash the base tune. It didnt start. Playing with the MAF Transfer function got it to start and idle.

Then my MTXL threw an E8 code at me. Tried to recal but it wouldnt, only returns E8. Ordered a new O2 sensor....should be delivered by Friday.

Cant wait to get this thing moving!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

So ive replaced the wideband since last week and have been slowly playing with the tune. Following the lasota training video and book ive managed to get a decent idle (900ish RPM), AFR (14.3ish) and warmed the car up to operating temp for the first time in over a year while doing some datalogs today.

I've got a long way to go and still tons to learn but this was a major milestone for me today.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Congrats! I know the feeling when you're able to check off a box!

John

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Yep, thats pie. - Meta 

Subbed. Great job, man!
    Quote Originally Posted by zxtwou2 View Post
    Making bigger pipe as the exhaust flowd and cools makes eddy currents ehich is what mskes rasp.

Helping raise some cash for our long-timer ZX2Fast. Parts here: click me

06/2016-TurdBo Vj11
    04/2011 - present: 1999 black zx2 (mtx)
    05/2009 - 04/2011: 1999 black zx2 (atx)

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Thanks guys.

So this weekend i switched the WB over to lambda and got some more "free rev" datalogs in (up to 4.5k) and kept modifying the MAF transfer function. Its locked in open loop to do this using the WB and I'm pretty confident ive got it as close to 1 lambda as I'm going to get under 2.5k rpm....from there up it runs on the rich side around .90/.89. Better safe than sorry?...i hope...

I think within the next week or so I'll see if it will actually drive, staying out of boost of course and taking logs.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

video proof its alive

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

drove the car today. still got lots of work to do with the MAF transfer function. but i did get some logs under load, no boost.

woot

happy memorial day everyone

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    To you as well :) - SoCalZX2 here ya go just checkin this out - pissdrunx16 What can I say, I love my Beer - 1981gMachine 

Sub'd, nice work so far. Good luck on dialing it in.

I get to spend my days at work restoring cars from the 1900-1960s
    Penn Dutch Restorations~ Album of my work- Build Version 2.0

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Thanks. I've tweaked it a few times throughout the week and got it closer to lambda based off of the logs with load. Still a bit fat on the upper end of the curve but close enough I think I can get some part throttle logs under boost.

But first I need to clean up the garage so I can pull the turbo car up and get the explorer in for some rear brake work this weekend.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

No boost this weekend. I've got a pretty bad lean spot I've been trying to iron out.

Gonna fatten up the MAF transfer function around 300ish AD counts and drive it again. It just leans out bad enough around 3.1k to 3.4k depending on where im at in the MAF TF and the engine doesnt like it.

I cleaned it up a bit this weekend and got it to pass right over that range in 1st gear, still runs lean but its so quick the car doesnt notice. Once I hit second she does not like it at all.

Hopefully no rain tonight and I'll keep at it.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

ok, lean spot is cleared up and now its running rich up top. but no more lean stumble so thats good.

drove around for about 10 minutes and got some light part throttle logs up to 5.4k rpm and around 520 maf ad counts.

stays pretty steady but rich up top so ill start trimming the fat on the maf transfer function to try and get everything down to lambda.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Yep, thats pie. - Meta 

What do you consider rich up top? AFR wise.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Its still a pretty rough MAF TF tune, but im seeing as low as .8 lambda around 4/500 MAF AD counts and up. And another little lean spike around 280 to 300AD counts as lean as 1.18 but its very quick and the car doesnt seem to be affected by it, still trying to tune that out though.

With a stoich AFR of 14.1 that .8 lambda should be around 11.2 AFR on E10.

The car is locked in open loop, so the goal here is to bring the actual AFR/Lambda in line with the commanded AFR of 1 lambda. Once that is done the MAF TF should be "calibrated". Once thats done I'll let it go back into closed loop and it should be time to start working on the actual base fuel tables and timing and all that good stuff. Best of all I should be safe to boost by then.

Just taking small steps and still learning a ton as I go.

So to sum that up, its "rich" because I'm commanding a lambda of 1 and seeing a lambda of .8ish. Once I've got that transfer function nailed down and I can put the car back in closed loop I'm going to start out commanding a lambda around .8(RBT) under boost.
    Last edited by TheEvilZX2; 06-07-2017 at 04:37 AM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Yep, thats pie. - Meta 

^You lost me at lambda lol Good stuff, man. Definitely want to see some vids.
    On an unrelated note, I urge every zx2 driver to check their throttle cable slack at the pedal. Mine developed a large gap, and looks like I was not getting full WOT (which was evidenced by pig rich AFR of very low 10s at initial 3/4-full wot operation). I've adjusted the slack and the car *feels* like it pulls much better now and AFR seem to be in range (high 10s-low 11s). I initially thought I had a boost leak.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Interesting, ive always adjusted my throttle cables to take out the slack....TheEvilZX2s cable is at the end of its adjustment and has been for years...still feels good and opens fully.
    Oh and I also like to tighten up the return spring on the TB just one winding. makes the throttle feel much heavier....i prefer it that way.

As for lambda, its so much easier. It really is. Instead of worrying about the "14.7" in the 14.7:1 ratio youre just worrying about the "1" in the 14.7:1. Best part of it is thats what the PCM speaks. No need to convert from lambda to AFR and have potential inaccuracies in the conversion. The only thing necessary is to know the stoichiometric AFR of the fuel you are using. Gasoline is 14.7:1 as everyone knows, E10 is roughly 14.1:1, E85 is 9.76:1. And guess what thats all 1 lambda if your wideband is set to the correct fuel.

Lambda is what the wideband speaks natively, and the PCM....i dont really get why anyone would stick with AFR....

Its even easier to tune the MAF Transfer Function with lambda. Wherever I log and determine the AFR is off (open loop commanding 1 lambda) i just multiply the corresponding cells by the lambda that I datalogged it at. It really is that easy.

Dont think about it so hard or youll confuse yourself.....trust me. I've been there lol

Thread Information