Thread: weird electrical problem... no crank no start, sputtering,

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default weird electrical problem... no crank no start, sputtering,

Hello guys, just so you know I'm fairly knew with this car and i spent the last 2 hours reading other posts. I couldn't find anything like what I'm going through.

First off i got the car a month ago, no codes, battery terminal was horrible so i changed it because it would keep the car from starting. Then the car threw some codes at me, misfires for cylinders 1 and 4. The codes are, P1000, P0171, P0301, P0304. I replaced the plugs and wires. Then plugs were rounded and I broke one of the wires while pulling it off a plug. (that sucker was really stuck on there.) As for it running lean I cleaned the MAF and it went away.
    I had been driving it while the misfire codes were up for about three weeks, i know...... slap my hand. During this time it's been hard to start the car. I would crank it for 5+ seconds just to start it. Sometimes i would crank it, it would not start, then i would crank it again and it would always start on the second crank.

Yesterday I drove it to work no problem, then when I get in the car to go home the car won't crank. It had slight power and the "open door" beep would work. I thought maybe it just needed a jump, so i hooked it up to my boss' car and then turned the key, it would sputter, but not crank.

one more thing.. I thought maybe I blew a fuse. I tried to pull out the main fuse 100A and broke it. I can't find a replacement. I looked at autozone, advance auto. I finally found one on amazon, but can anyone tell me specifically which one I need? Some have different male connections. (one is looped and the other is forked.)

I feel the need to apologize for not getting it looked at sooner. I'm sorry to have let anyone down. haha

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Yep, thats pie. - Meta 

Could be several things. I'd get a helper and see if you're getting spark, then check your timing belt condition (even tho you didn't have the codes for it). Are you hearing the pump prime when you cycle the key? Try cycling it and see if it starts. 0171 is most likely a vacuum leak, which, if it's a big one, could also play a role in this no-start condition. Most likely culprit is the pcv line that goes to the bottom of the intake manifold.
    Quote Originally Posted by zxtwou2 View Post
    Making bigger pipe as the exhaust flowd and cools makes eddy currents ehich is what mskes rasp.

Helping raise some cash for our long-timer ZX2Fast. Parts here: click me

06/2016-TurdBo Vj11
    04/2011 - present: 1999 black zx2 (mtx)
    05/2009 - 04/2011: 1999 black zx2 (atx)

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    for the superman of the zx2 savers - daggit2005 Henry Ford < Dareall - SR2000 For the entertaining builds...constantly :-) - CJW For being a great member and friend to many. - CJW you sir are awarded the medal of awsome - daggit2005 
    Scammer Slaughering Medal of Honor - Hardline this is for the candy ive got from you with my purchases the past few years. - blue99fordzx2 For moving/locking my post when asked :) - blue99fordzx2 Thx for helping me get my car put back together. - X-Lr8 It's lunch time here. lolz - rascal 
    For dealing with dumbass n00bs. - RASCAL How much for the trim piece? LOL - RASCAL Absolute hero. I cannot imagine how helpful and kind a person Dareall is.  THANK YOU. - SoCalZx2Rob For doing my part out and finally getting the parts sold.  I owe it all to you.  Thanks Dareall.  I'll never forget it.  Thank god it's finally done.  XD - SoCalZx2Rob 

weird electrical problem... no crank no start

this is due to your negative battery terminal and the little ground junction connected to it. The contacts need to be cleaned real good then put back together. Your car will start up as it should once this is done

It had slight power and the "open door" beep would work. I thought maybe it just needed a jump, so i hooked it up to my boss' car and then turned the key, it would sputter, but not crank.
    this is because you were jumping it wrong and had connected both cables to the battery. This is how i know the problem with starting is the battery cable end as i described.
    We're gonna ride the race cars
    We're gonna dance on fire

Best sale thread ever !!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

As for the fuse I believe it is held in at the end with a screw. You can't just pull it out, but I guess you learned that already. Just get one from a junkyard, I have never seen one go bad and they are easy to test with a volt-ohm meter.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I did replace the pcv valve and did neglect to check that hose.

I'll clean that terminal immediately.

As for the fuse. I learned that the hard way. Haha I just thought because it was so old it was stuck.

Thread Information