Thread: Clutch, hydraulics or something else?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default Clutch, hydraulics or something else?

Hi,

My son owns a nice 5 speeder ZX2. He is not the first owner, and the car has about 140k on the clock, the last 10 with him. The clutch pedal in this car has always engaged way far: maybe an inch or two from the firewall before you feel the clutch engaging. This last week however the car started putting a horrible grinding noise when attempting to put the car in gear, but only while the engine is running. If the engine is off, the shifter can go thru all the gears without any problems.

My mechanics knee jerk reaction is to point at the clutch, but I do not feel any slippage on the clutch (meaning it grabs the flywheel firmly). I am not a a mechanic, but I like to be an informed customer. Is this the clutch? Can it be the master or slave cylinder failing? Can it be a the throw out bearing?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

R

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Your problem is not the clutch slipping but not disengaging fully. Your clutch master cylinder is either worn out and not getting decent seal early in the stroke, or the clutch master or slave cylinder is allowing air into the system. Replace both of them while you are at it, they are cheap, and look at the lines, including the fabric covered feed from the brake mc. When they start to rust through you get issues as well. It is tempting to just pinch off the feed line from the brake mc and not replace, but they get brittle and the ends mushroom out and you get leaks.

Bleed them manually after you replace them. I have never gotten them to power bleed properly, and the factory manual specifies manual bleeding as well

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

When I first got ZX2 @ 97k, it had a similar problem. Kinda hard shifting like the clutch was not fully releasing. No grinding, no slipping, just a little hard to shift. Also, when I would engage the clutch (let the pedal out) it would engage about an inch off floor. I dont like low clutch pedals, so I looked to see if there was an adjustment under the dash. Sure enough, turned the screw a few turns and that raised the pedal and helped the shifting

1 running Ford out of 5 isn't bad, right?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Thank you for your input.

I bought master and slave cylinders, including the supply hose. I will be replacing them today. I am hoping that it fixes the problem as a new clutch will be several hundred dollars.

Thank you again

R

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

The clutch pedal to pushrod adjustment also has a big impact on how the clutch feels. When I first got my car the clutch just didn't engage the way I thought it should at times. Adjusting the jamb nut to remove almost all free play resulted in a much smoother clutch engagement at lower speeds. It's much easier to work on the pushrod adjustment with the driver seat removed.

Thread Information