Thread: Water Pump Housing

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default Water Pump Housing

So, last week my belt tensioner bracket broke on me and now I'm left buying a new water pump housing/jacket (I've seen it called both?) I'm wondering, because I haven't seen it anywhere on the forums, has anyone done this replacement with the engine still in the car? Its my understanding that I'll have to brace my engine and undo the upper mount and remove the timing belt. Is there anything else I should watch out for while I'm down there?

On the bright side, I now know why I've been eating belts and tensioners. Looks like the crack in the bracket was old and I'm lucky it made it this far.
    1999 ZX2 "Cool" - eBay Intake and lots of problems - "I was pushing it onto a trailer and a tire slid off and that's why the door looks like that." -Previous Owner
    1986 Camaro 305 Stock - Not Running
    2000 Explorer V6 Stock - Not Running
    1966 Project Mustang

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I haven't replaced the water pump housing, but I just replaced almost everything else in the front of the engine. Everything is pretty well crammed next to the right side of the engine compartment. You will need an assortment of 1/4 inch drive wrenches and tools you can cram into tight areas. Flexible ratchets and box end wrenches were a help too. There's 8 and 10 mm bolts on much of it. Make sure you know how much to torque bolts on aluminium. It's usually no more than 18 ft-lbs and some service manuals seem to say 35 ft-lbs which can cause things to break. You can support the engine with a jack under the oil pan. You will have to unbolt all accessories. The power steering pump has issues you should find out about. The motor mount bolts to a big bracket that probably needs to be removed. The alternator and a ribbed idler pulley also mount to this bracket. It's a good time to change the idler pulleys because you won't want to do this again soon.

I changed the water pump because it had 200000 miles. It had the Ford logo and seemed to be in good condition. But just to be on the safe side I got a cheap one with a metal impeller on RockAuto. Now, after two weeks, it's leaking. So I'm going to out the old one back in.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I would delete a double post if I knew how.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    for the superman of the zx2 savers - daggit2005 Henry Ford < Dareall - SR2000 For the entertaining builds...constantly :-) - CJW For being a great member and friend to many. - CJW you sir are awarded the medal of awsome - daggit2005 
    Scammer Slaughering Medal of Honor - Hardline this is for the candy ive got from you with my purchases the past few years. - blue99fordzx2 For moving/locking my post when asked :) - blue99fordzx2 Thx for helping me get my car put back together. - X-Lr8 It's lunch time here. lolz - rascal 
    For dealing with dumbass n00bs. - RASCAL How much for the trim piece? LOL - RASCAL Absolute hero. I cannot imagine how helpful and kind a person Dareall is.  THANK YOU. - SoCalZx2Rob For doing my part out and finally getting the parts sold.  I owe it all to you.  Thanks Dareall.  I'll never forget it.  Thank god it's finally done.  XD - SoCalZx2Rob 

only hard part is knowing how to redo timing. so, if you do not already know how to do this read up and learn how to do it before attempting to replace this part
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We're gonna ride the race cars
    We're gonna dance on fire

Best sale thread ever !!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default Did you replace the water pump housing?

Did you do it? When I replaced it on my wife's ZX2 I found the timing belt pulleys to be broken and melted making it necessary to get a timing belt kit by Gates (of course the car is a 99) and at first I got the wrong kit. It was straight forward but tedious in the extreme and yes, you are going to prop up the engine with at least a section of 2 x 4 under the oil pan and remove the motor mount. Clearances are TIGHT.

Did you buy the new Ford water pump housing or did you get one from an auto salvage yard? I did and it is slightly bent. I have to do it all over after I pull another housing from a car where the belt rides completely on the flat part of the serpentine belt tensioner pulley and not on the rounded outer edge of the pulley. Sadder but wiser.

Thread Information