Thread: Front Sway Bar Bushings Question

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default Front Sway Bar Bushings Question

Is it possible to replace the front sway bar bushings without dropping the subframe? It looks like I can get the front bolts out, but wasn't sure if I could pry up the steel housing and throw in a new bushing and torque it back down without damaging the housing.

Related question- I've heard that you shouldn't grease ES bushings, and I've heard that you should. If the former is correct, would dousing the bushings with Ford/Lincoln/Mercury grease be the way to go, or should I look at some spray lube like WD-40 or something?

Thanks guys.
    Red 98.5 half-ass S/R clone.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Yes you can I've done it. Problem is hammering the brackets back down. Pull the battery and tray for drivers side. Pull rad overflow and washer fluid bottle out. Long bar and BFH. You can even get a socket on it from the top to impact if you like.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

As far the grease issue, I always use the teflon/silicone stuff that comes with the ES bushings. Otherwise they will squeek and eat the bush out if you dont. This is for the ones that wrap around the bar. The end links are different. No grease on them or else they might slide around and pop out of the bar end Here's a drawing (for the rear) I made for some that I had for sale. The ES diagram is correct for the front, but is upside down for the rear

1 running Ford out of 5 isn't bad, right?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

It looks like someone beat me to this question. I was wondering the same thing as the OP. I had the front bushing brackets replaced years ago, however I took it to the garage due to not having enough time and not wanting to drop the subframe.

Earlier this evening, I am pretty sure part of my driver's side sway bar bushing fell off driving home from work. I have not gotten a chance to look since it's late. I did look at them a few weeks ago and they're both shot. My car squeaks like crazy driving over any bumpy surfaces and it has developed this click/thud when making right turns. It doesn't really seem to matter if I am going 15 or 50mph. It clunks every time.
    Now, I am curious for those who have lowered the subframe. How much of a PITA is this? I remember reading somewhere the subframe bolts get pretty rusted.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I stumbled across this in my searching.
    http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldatadiy...65223/93861844
    Definitely seems like a major pain in the butt without the engine support and trans jack.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I replaced them when I swapped out the SPI to Zetec but I went ahead and just dropped the subframe. Much easier once it's out rather than having to contort your self to get a socket on the nut.

John

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Hope you enjoyed the "dragon" - zx2loon Me wubbz joo too!! - zx2loon Congrats bro!! - rascal get 'em done - GoT MiLF? Unicorn hood ornament! lol - rascal 
    Thanks for the rubber superman! wait... - Gitt24_84 For those rare times when you don't have sand in the vag... - Big Mizz 

Do yourself a favor and put divots into the D bushing using a Dremel with a small tip. This will help retain the silicone grease.

Yes, you can remove the front D-braxket bolts and pry up to remove the bushing. IIRC I had to do something with the steering rack or I eod on the PS.

You can also drill through the bracket and bushing, once installed, and add a zerk (grease fitting) for future lube maintenance.
    2000 Black S/R (RIP), Iceman/CF hood/PnP ATX TB/K&N/MSD/PowderUDP-ODP/Esslinger cam gears/PS STS/SPI MTX/Fidanza/Stage2/Kamikaze/2.25"cat-less/Magnaflow/SCT(Pwned by Vit)/STB/21mmRSB/KYB/GC/Drag DR23
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowness65 View Post
    EXACTLY At night we could chant and sing in a circle around Doug's S/R and any others that may be there and burn a Cavalier as an offering to them
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitt24_84 View Post
    Nevermind, I'm fucking retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinZX View Post
    If you're talking about the slave cylinder "cock", you can play with that thing all day long and it will not get stiff.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by Novanutcase View Post
    I replaced them when I swapped out the SPI to Zetec but I went ahead and just dropped the subframe. Much easier once it's out rather than having to contort your self to get a socket on the nut.

John
    I guess that is a given. In hindsight, I wish I would've done the same thing when I swapped motors 2 years ago. At the time they looked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DOUGIESTYLE View Post
    Do yourself a favor and put divots into the D bushing using a Dremel with a small tip. This will help retain the silicone grease.

Yes, you can remove the front D-braxket bolts and pry up to remove the bushing. IIRC I had to do something with the steering rack or I eod on the PS.

You can also drill through the bracket and bushing, once installed, and add a zerk (grease fitting) for future lube maintenance.
    DOUGIE, thanks for the info. I will keep this in mind.

FYI, I contacted one of my local dealerships and they said Ford no longer makes the front sway bar brackets. They even checked for some aftermarket brackets. My question is what do we do when a bracket needs to be replaced? Make your own or retrofit a pair from another vehicle?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

When I replaced my transmission mounts I had a chance to check my bushings. I had to pull off both crossmembers. It looks like Ford left access to get at the sway bar bushing bracket bolts. Those alldatadiy.com instructions involve dropping the subframe, but maybe that's if you need to remove and replace the stabilizer bar itself. Proceed with caution when working with subframe or crossmember bolts and nuts. If something breaks you will have a bigger problem.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - bigtime 

when I did mine I just loosened the front subframe, and used a 14mm wobbly socket, it was enough to get the job done

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1999 zx2 s/r powder UDP+ODP, ford racing wires, corksport strutbar, 19mm rsb, armrest
    2000 zx2 s/r stock RIP

Thread Information