Thread: What do you make of this?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default What do you make of this?

Bought this 99 Hot from a gal. Timing belt idler pulley disintegrated, and the car sat for over a year. I had hopes of replacing the timing belt and pulleys and magically having a running rig with a little blood and sweat.

Not so much. I replaced the pulleys. Set the timing and ran compression tests on the cylinders (was a bit shocked to see oil around the tops of the plugs, but chalked that up to a bad head gasket). 50/100/150/60 Uh oh! Double checked my timing procedure. Yep I did it right.

I had another donor vehicle with a known good motor and tranny. Swapped that over and now the Hot is up and running.

What I can't stand is that I don't know exactly why the other motor failed. So I tore the head off tonight. Head gasket looks good. Cylinder walls I'm not so sure about, but I wanted a second/third opinion.

WP_20170913_21_49_36_Pro_LI (1).jpgWP_20170913_21_46_46_Pro_LI (1).jpgWP_20170913_21_47_39_Pro_LI (1).jpgWP_20170913_21_47_13_Pro_LI (1).jpgWP_20170913_21_48_33_Pro_LI (1).jpgWP_20170913_21_46_16_Pro_LI (1).jpgWP_20170913_21_46_00_Pro_LI (1).jpgWP_20170913_21_46_26_Pro_LI (1).jpg

Hopefully the pics attach. If they are too small let me know and I can try to upload bigger (if my quota allows)

According to the gal she had her oil changed very recently, but I'm wondering if that was more to cover up something else than any actual part of the real problem. Oil looked and smelled fine.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    for the superman of the zx2 savers - daggit2005 Henry Ford < Dareall - SR2000 For the entertaining builds...constantly :-) - CJW For being a great member and friend to many. - CJW you sir are awarded the medal of awsome - daggit2005 
    Scammer Slaughering Medal of Honor - Hardline this is for the candy ive got from you with my purchases the past few years. - blue99fordzx2 For moving/locking my post when asked :) - blue99fordzx2 Thx for helping me get my car put back together. - X-Lr8 It's lunch time here. lolz - rascal 
    For dealing with dumbass n00bs. - RASCAL How much for the trim piece? LOL - RASCAL Absolute hero. I cannot imagine how helpful and kind a person Dareall is.  THANK YOU. - SoCalZx2Rob For doing my part out and finally getting the parts sold.  I owe it all to you.  Thanks Dareall.  I'll never forget it.  Thank god it's finally done.  XD - SoCalZx2Rob 

your problem is the timing of that engine. really that is all.

the oil leak you had is due to valve cover gasket, not head gasket. I am not being a smart ass when i ask this, but if you really think about it, how would oil from a bad head gasket make it up to the plugs the way you describe? This is why I mention it being the valve cover.

about your compression readings. This is not some old pushrod engine or some Honda or chevy. This engine has variable camshaft timing (VCT) and because of this you will not get compression readings as you would with a different engine. Oil pressure is needed to get proper readings you are looking for but with the engine not running the vct cam may not close the valves with the intake cam allowing you to get a good reading.

now back to the timing component replacement. Since the car is a 99 then there are a few things to be concerned with.

- Some 99s used the same timing kit as the 98 and other used the same as the 2000. If your timing kit was the same type used for 98 then there is a 3rd pulley which needs to be replaced. If the car uses the same type as the 2000 then installing the 3rd pulley is a mistake

- these engines do not have traditional timing marks and many people mistakenly set their timing incorrectly due to this. There is a timing belt thread which describes the process on how to do this properly. There are also many videos on youtube which show this but most of them are wrong and some are just plain stupid. I hope you did not watch the wrong ones for any information. the way to set the timing on these is to locate TDC. TDC is easiest to determine by using the lower crank pulley. There are two notches on the lower crank pulley and they line up with the bolt on the oil pan as pictured here:

do not make the mistake thinking the holes are the marks. There are two notches on the crank pulley and lined up as these are will put the engine at TDC.

Once the crank is at TDC it is time to set the cams. THE CAMS ONLY GET SET ONE WAY. I put this in caps to emphasize this because many of the videos on youtube are wrong and confuse a lot of people. Here is how to lock the cams in place:

- Once those two things are set it is a matter of setting the tension properly. This is what the tensioner marks look like when over tightened:

it should be set like this

if you decide to put that engine back together then keep us informed and we will help you get it started again
    We're gonna ride the race cars
    We're gonna dance on fire

Best sale thread ever !!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Ooops let's call that a typo with the gasket, I'm a newb, but I know the oil had to be from the valve cover gasket. Sorry, I probably shouldn't post so late at night.

I've set the timing on my other ZX2's at least 6 times over the past 3 years. I've read/re-read the timing post again at least once each time. (Thank you for that by the way)

Quick run down:
    Set #1 to TDC with the screwdriver test (also validated the position of the key on the crankshaft was at 12:00)
    Loosened the cam gears
    Inserted the timing bar I bought a few timing adjustments ago (not that it was really any better than my short section of L bracket steel)
    Replaced the timing pulleys (including the bottom one since the motor is an early 99, even though the GWVR plate shows 3/99) (Yes, I had to go and by the "other" timing kit with the larger upper pulley and bolt)
    Installed the timing belt (loosely)
    Set the tensioner
    Tighten the exhaust cam
    Tighten the intake cam

So is the moral of the story that I should have let the motor crank longer to build up some oil pressure? I probably let it crank for about 5 seconds each attempt) Given that the car had set idle for a year I guess I can see why it might take a little longer to get enough oil pressure to the VCT. When I was cranking it over it didn't sound like I expected. A lot more thunking, but again maybe related to having sat for so long.

What do you make of the discoloration on the #3 intake?

Or what to me looks like rings allowing exhaust gases to escape the combustion chamber on #1 and #4? (the light brown/golden smudges below the obvious combustion coloration)

I appreciate the input. I usually feel pretty confident in evaluating the failures, but this one still has me feeling a bit like a newb.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Now I had to go back and re-read the timing thread. I guess the difference with this timing belt for me was that since the pulley had disintegrated I should have gone though the whole VCT reset section (which I have to admit I neglected to do)

Damn. Don't I feel like an ass right about now.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    for the superman of the zx2 savers - daggit2005 Henry Ford < Dareall - SR2000 For the entertaining builds...constantly :-) - CJW For being a great member and friend to many. - CJW you sir are awarded the medal of awsome - daggit2005 
    Scammer Slaughering Medal of Honor - Hardline this is for the candy ive got from you with my purchases the past few years. - blue99fordzx2 For moving/locking my post when asked :) - blue99fordzx2 Thx for helping me get my car put back together. - X-Lr8 It's lunch time here. lolz - rascal 
    For dealing with dumbass n00bs. - RASCAL How much for the trim piece? LOL - RASCAL Absolute hero. I cannot imagine how helpful and kind a person Dareall is.  THANK YOU. - SoCalZx2Rob For doing my part out and finally getting the parts sold.  I owe it all to you.  Thanks Dareall.  I'll never forget it.  Thank god it's finally done.  XD - SoCalZx2Rob 

i have had engines start which have sat for as long as you mentioned this one sitting for. Here is one example:

i was worried about this one a little because it was rusted stuck and i had to break it free (which was not easy) and it eventually started. I do remember this one in particular needing the timing reset before it was finally starting back up. Once i did this the car would start immediately after every time.

so your case may have been the compression test or maybe a vacuum leak. Maybe the engine will fire back up once you put it back together
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Still sulking, but now I guess I'll just have to buy another dejected ZX2 and put it back on the road after I clean this one up and put it back together.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by slick400xr View Post
    Still sulking, but now I guess I'll just have to buy another dejected ZX2 and put it back on the road after I clean this one up and put it back together.
    LOL! Ya live and Ya learn!!!

John

Thread Information