Thread: Son's ZX2

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default Son's ZX2

Hi

New to the forum. My son just turned 16 and acquired his drivers license. My brother picked up this 2002 ZX2 from an old lady and gave it to my son for his first car.

Car is obviously an auto and has 95K miles. I threw on a set of $60 Craigslist purchase Borbett wheels since the OEM have snow tires. Speedometer stopped working the month my brother had the car before giving it to my son. I need to do a search on this forum. Google says speed sensor in the trans?

IMG_5340.JPG
    Last edited by Rob H; 10-12-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added photo

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Yeah it sounds like you are going to need to install a new vehicle speed sensor. The only hard part is getting the old one out. You will have more room to work if you remove the cat and control arm cross member. A sharp chisel and bfh to knock it loose. We don't want to hear that it has welded itself in there.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I drove around for 29 months with no speedometer odometer or trip meter. I tried once and gave up, then one day I just decided to impose my will on it.20171013_013918.jpg

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    A beer for ya bro! - rascal Just cause. lol - rascal You passed! lolz - RASCAL 

IIRC the sensor body that goes into the trans is slightly oblonged, but will slightly wiggle. I always grabbed the base with a channel locks and twisted left to right about an 1/8" as i pulled with upward pressure and usually came right out. When you put the new one in, take some trans fluid and lube it.

Great get on the car. looks really clean and I actually really like those Borbet's on there, they match pretty well, another good get. Keep that kid from painting interior parts and generally f'ng up the car and it'll serve him well for years. Stay tuned on this site and we can help you work out any problems as they arise.

Thread Information