Thread: Intro + Question about LED

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default Intro + Question about LED

Hi! I'm new here with my Green 2001 Ford ZX2 from East Peoria, IL.

So far I've been loving this car! I bought it used with 93k miles on it for $1600.
    Drives smooth and handles well. With minor hiccups here and there, but it's something I've already anticipated when buying this car.

Although, 4 days into driving this car, I got hit by a deer and ruined practically my driver side door and body.
    Outside door handle won't open the door while the inside handle works just fine. Driver side lock doesn't work either.
    Left side mirror broke. (replaced but somehow lost my power control over it)

Other issues I've noticed after driving it for a few weeks now:
    P0761 code for Solenoid C starting to get bad.
    Temp gauge not working but car doesn't overheat (I would've been stranded already by now after being oblivious and drove it anyway).
    Cigarette lighter hole doesn't work.
    Weak battery status.

Enough with my introduction, the reason I'm here is:
    I have this Catinbow LED Bulbs that supposedly fit my ZX2.
    I noticed there's a grey cap covering the current bulb that I assume won't work with the new LED driver that comes with the pack.
    How would I proceed with the installation?

Thank you and hopefully I can learn a lot from this forum and its citizens.
    I'm not a mechanical genius but I learn fairly quick and would be willing to get my hands dirty to work on this car.

ps. I've tried using the search engine and look around, but can't seem to pinpoint a single thread concerning the LED question. (I might've missed it somehow)

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    A beer for ya bro! - rascal Just cause. lol - rascal You passed! lolz - RASCAL 

Welcome to the site. Be respectful and you'll get along great! Not sure on your question about the LED's. can you post a picture of what you're talking about?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Where specifically are these LED bulbs going to go? Are they headlight bulbs? Gauge bulbs? Turn signals?

Each one has it's own requirements so before we can comment we need to know where they're going to and what type of LED you have for the area you want to light up.

John

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Welcome, and thanks for using the search button. It gets lonely and appreciates the attention.

If they are truly ment to be a replacement headlight bulb, then I would assume they should fit under that access cover. However, their description has these famous words...."fits most vehicles". If they don't fit, you could leave that cover off since it doesn't actually hold the bulb in, or cut a hole in the back of it to clear the driver/fan/heatsink part.

Please do your fellow motorists a favor and make sure your headlights are aligned correctly so you aren't "that guy" with his super-dooper bright headlights that blind everybody.

1 running Ford out of 5 isn't bad, right?

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price" -Ben Franklin

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by ZX2.0 View Post
    Please do your fellow motorists a favor and make sure your headlights are aligned correctly so you aren't "that guy" with his super-dooper bright headlights that blind everybody.
    While I agree with you I find it highly improbable that he'll be able to properly outfit the retrofit since the stock lens isn't designed for the increase in luminosity that the new bulbs will afford.

John

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

If I understand you correctly, are you saying that the lens/reflector shape is not optimized to take advantage of the higher lumen rating of the LED's? I watched a good video tutorial of the differences between a stock setup then with HID, LED bulbs, then the same test w/ projector lamps and different bulbs. Amazing what happens when the reflector is designed for the correct bulb

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price" -Ben Franklin

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by ZX2.0 View Post
    If I understand you correctly, are you saying that the lens/reflector shape is not optimized to take advantage of the higher lumen rating of the LED's? I watched a good video tutorial of the differences between a stock setup then with HID, LED bulbs, then the same test w/ projector lamps and different bulbs. Amazing what happens when the reflector is designed for the correct bulb

Correct. How many times to you have to deal with some asshat kid that installed his EBay HID kit on his Honda that essentially blinds you because the lens was not designed to work with such a high intensity light source.

It's annoying and I don't understand why police don't pull them over more often since it's pretty apparent when they have them installed.

John

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I'd say it's a 2 to 1 ratio of asshats driving with bright lights to asshays driving w/ no lights. They're both clueless

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Gald to see you at Cyb's again. - zx2loon You've earned this one! - Big Mizz 

To address the temp gauge issue you are having, the ZX2 has two temp sending units, one for the ECU, the other for your gauge cluster, so basically the gauge sending unit has failed, but the ECU one is still working, I would suggest replacing both. they are under $20.00 normally.
    My car is a collectable according to PennDOT

My car has had two owners: Ford Motor Company and Me.

http://www.degettlehobbyllc.com

Thread Information