Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just won't fire up.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default just won't fire up.

I have a 99, recently I was driving home and the car just died. Before it went
    out it set a check engine light. After reading the codes it spit out a P0117. I don't think
    this would prevent it from starting. Timing belt is intact. It looks like I am getting spark.
    I did notice some oil in the spark plug valley. Also getting good fuel pressure. Cranks good
    but just won't start. Any Ideas?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    for the superman of the zx2 savers - daggit2005 Henry Ford < Dareall - SR2000 For the entertaining builds...constantly :-) - CJW For being a great member and friend to many. - CJW you sir are awarded the medal of awsome - daggit2005 
    Scammer Slaughering Medal of Honor - Hardline this is for the candy ive got from you with my purchases the past few years. - blue99fordzx2 For moving/locking my post when asked :) - blue99fordzx2 Thx for helping me get my car put back together. - X-Lr8 It's lunch time here. lolz - rascal 
    For dealing with dumbass n00bs. - RASCAL How much for the trim piece? LOL - RASCAL Absolute hero. I cannot imagine how helpful and kind a person Dareall is.  THANK YOU. - SoCalZx2Rob For doing my part out and finally getting the parts sold.  I owe it all to you.  Thanks Dareall.  I'll never forget it.  Thank god it's finally done.  XD - SoCalZx2Rob 

maybe you should look to see if belt is turning when engine is turning
    We're gonna ride the race cars
    We're gonna dance on fire

Best sale thread ever !!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by dareall View Post
    maybe you should look to see if belt is turning when engine is turning

I had the valve cover off to check to see if the belt jumped
    all is well. Cams are timed correctly and rotating while cranking.
    Is it possible that since the plug boots were partly submerged in hot
    engine oil that the boots broke down and the spark is arcing to the head?.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

My car has about 1/4" of oil on the boots, and it runs fine, so I don't think that's your problem.

P0117 is ECT temp above 254

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

WTF!
    Tapatalk only posted like 5% of my reply. Son of a....

1 running Ford out of 5 isn't bad, right?

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price" -Ben Franklin

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

That didn't work either
    Last edited by ZX2.0; 11-29-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Enjoy - 1981gMachine Cheers! - recessbilly this is for selling sr - dareall 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - pissdrunx16 

If the belts good, spark is there. I could only assume fuel. How do you know it's getting fuel? Or the correct fuel pressure.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

The P0117 code is telling the PCM that the ECT is above 254 degF or that it is getting a less than .2 volt drop across the sensor which is outside of it's minimum range. Shorted wires would cause this condition as well. According to one online search, as the ECT goes up, the engine requires less and less fuel to run. Maybe with this code, you're simply not getting enough fuel injected to start the car with it being cold. You could try spraying something flammable down the throttle body and see it'll fire up.

Resolving the P0117 code.... According to alldata.diy, there are 3 possible causes for the code:

1) Bad wiring to the ECT sensor
    2) Bad ECT sensor
    3) Bad PCM

First, check the wiring to the sensor. Look for cracked insulation or splices. Like I said above, shorted wires to each other would cause this. If you have access to a scan tool with live data, wiggle the wires to see if the ECT changes.

If the wires look good and the wiggle test doesn't show anything, try disconnecting the ECT. With the connector off, the live data should show a reading between -4 and -46 degF (-20 to -43 degC). There should also be a P0118 code that shows up at this point. Maybe the car car will try and start at this point. If that happens, then you can assume the wiring between the ECT sensor and the PCM is good, and the PCM is functioning. Therefore, replace the sensor.

If that doesn't reveal anything, suspect the PCM.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price" -Ben Franklin

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

P0117 means your getting less than .2 volt drop across the ECT sensor, which could be caused by shorted wires at or near the sensor connector. According to one online search, as the ECT rises, the engine requires less and less fuel to keep running, and therefore injects less fuel. Perhaps with this code there is simply not enough fuel present to burn (too lean). Have you tried to spray something flammable down the throttle body?

According to alldata.diy, there are 3 things that could be causing that code:

1) Bad ECT wiring
    2) Bad ECT sensor
    3) Bad PCM

Do you have access to a live data scan tool? Wiggle the wires going to the sensor (the one on top of the thermostat housing IIRC) and see if the ECT reading changes. Try unplugging the sensor and see if the reading changes, or if the car starts. If the wires are good from the sensor to the PCM, then the scan tool should show a -4 to -46 deg F reading. If this is the case, replace the sensor.

If all that doesn't reveal anything, suspect the PCM

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by pissdrunx16 View Post
    If the belts good, spark is there. I could only assume fuel. How do you know it's getting fuel? Or the correct fuel pressure.

I didn't actually put a gauge on it but when I hit the shrader valve
    on the rail gas comes out pretty strong. I am leaning towards a weak coil pack.
    Will be testing that tomorrow. Also noticed a lot of corrosion on the pigtail
    coming off the neg bat terminal.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by pissdrunx16 View Post

I didn't actually put a gauge on it but when I hit the shrader valve
    on the rail gas comes out pretty strong. I am leaning towards a weak coil pack.
    Will be testing that tomorrow. Also noticed a lot of corrosion on the pigtail
    coming off the neg bat terminal.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by ZX2.0 View Post
    P0117 means your getting less than .2 volt drop across the ECT sensor, which could be caused by shorted wires at or near the sensor connector. According to one online search, as the ECT rises, the engine requires less and less fuel to keep running, and therefore injects less fuel. Perhaps with this code there is simply not enough fuel present to burn (too lean). Have you tried to spray something flammable down the throttle body?

According to alldata.diy, there are 3 things that could be causing that code:

1) Bad ECT wiring
    2) Bad ECT sensor
    3) Bad PCM

Do you have access to a live data scan tool? Wiggle the wires going to the sensor (the one on top of the thermostat housing IIRC) and see if the ECT reading changes. Try unplugging the sensor and see if the reading changes, or if the car starts. If the wires are good from the sensor to the PCM, then the scan tool should show a -4 to -46 deg F reading. If this is the case, replace the sensor.

If all that doesn't reveal anything, suspect the PCM

Something wrong with site I am seeing double posts, anyway I changed the ECT sensor no change.
    Sensor is getting 12 volts with key on. The sensor reads about 1 kohm at 58 degrees ambient.
    The odds of the PCM going south is unlikely. I did notice a slight dip in performance before it
    decided to crap out. That is why I suspect a weak coil pack. I will check that tomorrow. The car
    has 155,000 on the the clock.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Hope you enjoyed the "dragon" - zx2loon Me wubbz joo too!! - zx2loon Congrats bro!! - rascal get 'em done - GoT MiLF? Unicorn hood ornament! lol - rascal 
    Thanks for the rubber superman! wait... - Gitt24_84 For those rare times when you don't have sand in the vag... - Big Mizz 

Crank position sensor
    2000 Black S/R (RIP), Iceman/CF hood/PnP ATX TB/K&N/MSD/PowderUDP-ODP/Esslinger cam gears/PS STS/SPI MTX/Fidanza/Stage2/Kamikaze/2.25"cat-less/Magnaflow/SCT(Pwned by Vit)/STB/21mmRSB/KYB/GC/Drag DR23
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowness65 View Post
    EXACTLY At night we could chant and sing in a circle around Doug's S/R and any others that may be there and burn a Cavalier as an offering to them
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitt24_84 View Post
    Nevermind, I'm fucking retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinZX View Post
    If you're talking about the slave cylinder "cock", you can play with that thing all day long and it will not get stiff.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by DOUGIESTYLE View Post
    Crank position sensor

I was thinking about that but if the CPS isn't working then I wouldn't
    get any spark at all or injector pulses. If I am not mistaken the CPS sends
    a signal to the pcm telling it to fire the plugs and pulse the injectors but since
    you mentioned that I will have to test that tomorrow along with coil pack.
    Thanks.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

One of the things I made sure and do when I swapped the DOHC motor into my car was to switch out the fuel rail to a fuel rail with a schraeder valve. I think they came in pre "98 zx2's. I removed the inner valve and twisted a pressure gauge onto it. Now I can see the fuel pressure at the rail when I'm working on the car. I think it looks kind of cool too!!

John

Thread Information