Total Points
    Donate  
    Glad to see you at Cyb's again. - zx2loon 

Default UDP Installation

UDP Installation

Tools you'll need:

Floor Jack
    18mm socket and ratchet
    13mm combo or box wrench (The longer with more offset, the better)
    8mm & 10mm combination wrench or sockets
    Air Impact or cheater bar (to put over a ratchet).
    1. Jack the car up

2. Remove the lower plastic splash guard that covers the fan belt area underneath the car. Bolts take a 10mm wrench.

3. With a 18mm socket (3/4" 6 point socket will work), remove the center bolt on the crank pulley. An air impact gun works best, but if you don't have one, here is a backyard mechanic way...

put the socket on the crank bolt, Slide a pipe (I use the top part of my floor jack handle) over the breaker bar or ratchet, then making sure that the bar is positioned against the floor at 7 o'clock position or better. Make sure it'll stay there on it's own... don't try to hold it there. Then, using the starter, crank the car over for a second or two. The bolt should now be on the floor with the ratchet BE CAREFUL!

5. Put a 13mm wrench on the center bolt of the belt tensioner pulley, and turn the wrench clockwise to relieve the spring tension against the belt.

6. Remove the belt.

7. Slide off the pulley.

8. Remove the plastic timing belt cover that's behind the crank pulley. It's 2 bolts, 8mm wrench.

9. Grind off the raised lip around the crank pulley opening. )I did this by rubbing the plastic cover against a concrete driveway) If you fail to do this, the cover will interfere with the belt.

10. Re-install timing cover

11. Install new udp, tighten bolt to specs.

12. put on new belt the same way the old one came off, using the belt tensioner as the last pulley to slide the belt onto.

13. Now go enjoy the power.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I have a stupid question:

How long should this take?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Happy 21st! - carbonzx2 

An hour.
    http://teamzx2.com/threads/32191-Jos...-Awesome-Parts Epic part out
    1999 Yellow SR. Rota 17" Wheels, Pioneer Premier Head Unit, Polk Db front components, Infinity Perfect 6x8 Rears, Rockford Fosgate Prime 4 channel, Rockford Fosgate Prime 500w Sub Amp, JL W0 10". Trubendz 2.5" Exhaust. Kamikaze Header. OEM MMI Rear Tie Bar. Daily Driver. Would love to get rid of Trubendz exhaust for stock.

My NA Built Blue Zx2, Miss it all ready. Best 1/4: 13.89 @ 104.2 mph ; 60': 2.3 seconds ; 0-60: 5.26 seconds

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by joshalabama View Post
    An hour.
    Thanks a bunch! XP

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Glad to see you at Cyb's again. - zx2loon 

Quote Originally Posted by joshalabama View Post
    An hour.
    Yep. I did it in about 45 mins by myself. Would have been quicker if my tensioner wasnt such a PITA.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    rabble rabble Merry x-mas! - 2000zx2chik Thanks for the help!! - CraZx2ing No Message - CJW Since i never get you on them.  mmmm zebra fish. - powder go ahead, open it... - CJW 

ZOmg I know my friend Mark showed up thank god when I put Powderz pulley on 2 days ago. My source of all information zx2...teamzx2 was down damnit.
    I have a zx2
    XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG== j0hnZeee

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

shouldn't this be moved to somewhere other then interior?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

This is not for Interior Josh LOL

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

i'm doing mine this weekend ...!!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

instead of grinding the timming belt cover cant you just take it off and keep it off?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

^^^^ im wondering the same thing. Also do i need a new belt if i put a odp on after the udp has been on for a while(couple weeks)?
    2003 Black ZX2- sold

BOUGHT BRAND NEW 2008 Chevy Cobalt

scort2498 is offline I'm addicted to Chik's Phone Sex Hotline

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    closest thing i could find to a cookie!! lol - 2000zx2chik I told you i would buy u a drank(not for the boobs though) - scort2498 Its okay that you drive a chick car. I still like it. - 2000zx2chik Just dont get your "bat" stuck in it, cause i know you get bored sometimes! - 2000zx2chik Cause your my sweetheart! - 2000zx2chik 
    You may need this after I get there. They didnt have milk! - 2000zx2chik for better luck with u and ur car :) - 2000zx2chik since you love sushi :) - 2000zx2chik Relax and watch some tv baby ;) - 2000zx2chik OMG, What could it be??? - 2000zx2chik 
    Merry Christmas!!! - 2000zx2chik 

this isn;t like a regular splash guard it keeps shit outta the crank and what not.... and depending on the belt size will u need a new one or not... most likely yes but mayb ur tensioner can fix the prob.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Ok, then can someone tell me the belt size for when you have a udp and a odp on?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas! - 2000zx2chik My apologies, did not know she was your wife. - blue99fordzx2 From one photographer to the next. Enjoy! - RASCAL To keep you awake during Lambo build. - RASCAL 

Meanings we're on the subject of installs. You don't have my pics when I originally wrote this up. Let me redo it and lets do this the RIGHT way.

THINGS YOU WILL NEED:

- Patience
    - 10mm, 13mm, 18mm socket and a 13/16 socket
    - Way to immobilize the pulley or an air ratchet/air gun
    - Torque wrench for the pulley and putting your tire back on...
    - A UDP or UDP kit...
    - Jack and Jack stands.

Step 1: JACK UP THE CAR

Jack up the car, self explanitory, for purposes of simplicity just slap 2 jackstands under both sides of the car so the front of the car is elevated. Once it's jacked up, later on in installing this it will make it easier to get to it at your face level so you don't have to bend over to get at it, you can just sit and work on it.

Note my wonderful placement.

Step 2: REMOVE THE PASSENGER SIDE FRONT TIRE

Self explanitory. If you can't remove a 4 lug wheel off of a car you shouldn't be doing this mod... hint: You need a 13/16 to get it off.

Note, there is no wheel in this picture. If you've removed your wheel correclty, it should look like this :lmao:

Step 3: REMOVE THE SPLASH SHIELD

There are roughly 7little bolt screws holding the splash shield in. Remove them and drop the splash guard down off the bottom of your car. This will expose the shielding over your timing belt and over the stock crank pulley, you should be able to see everything there. These bolts are ALL 10mm.

Here's 2 pictures of the splashguard with the bolt screws highlighted for ease.

Step 4: POP THE HOOD

Not too hard, see? This comes in handy when there is no LIGHT down there... stick a light on the hood or up above in the engine compartment, it will make working on this whole thing so much easier...

Step 5: GETTING BACK UNDER THE CAR AND GETTING THAT TENSIONER/ REMOVE THE BELT

Using a 13mm socket you'll want to go righty tighty and release up some slack on the tensioner. The tensioner is above the A/C pulley and is very small, it's a smooth pulley, simply tighten the sucker up, this will move the tensioner and allow belt slack, with belt slack there, remove the belt carefully while holding the tensioneer in a slack position.

If you are UNDER the car with the splash guard removed if you sit under the facia and look UP through it you'll see all the pulleys, highlighted from 1st person perspective is the tensioner which uses 13mm.

Step 6: GETTING RID OF THAT STOCK PULLEY

Using a 18mm socket I highly recommend using an air wrench to get the sucker off unless you have a way to immobilize the pulley. Don't use a crapload of torque, set the setting to a lower setting and go lefty loosey on it and get the bolt off on the crank pulley. It should simply then just pull right off. You may have to jiggle and work with it, but once the bolt is off, it'll come out.

Now that the pulley is off, using a 10mm socket there are 2 small bolts holding on the shielding around the timing belt, take these off and slip the cover off. You will notice that there is a small "raised ring" around the shielding where the stock pulley was. Now take your new UDP and hold it in one hand, hold your shielding in the other, bring them together as if you were looking at them assembled in the car, notice how the spot where the belt would go through would be hitting that plastic shielding? Well, our next step is grinding that down....

Here's what the pulley looks like (UDP) but this is where the stock pulley will sit where the UDP is.

Now here's a picture of the pulley up close and unfortunately due to light they are very hard to see but here's the 2 bolts to remove to get the plastic shield off.

Step 7: GRIND DOWN THAT SHIELDING!

This was honestly easy to do. You can rub it on the concrete like sandpaper, or use sandpaper (I recommend a sander) or a dremel.... I used a table sander and it took about 30 seconds to do for me... but I don't think thats something you have in your shop common place, so for those that don't use whatever you can. Simply grind down this plastic shielding ring until it's flat as if it was never supposed to be there in the first place.

Just so you see what I mean by remove the shielding here is a picture of the plastic guard BEHIND the pulley after it has been cleared, the belt clears it perfeclty, but before the belt would be covered/rubbing on it.

Step 8: INSTALL THE NEW PULLEY

Simple enough... put the shielding back over the timing belt/crank pulley area with the two 10mm bolts. Tighten them up. Now you should be able to slip over the new pulley on there, MAKE SURE that the little notation mark on the pulley matches up with the mark on the crank or you'll be scratching your head going "WTF?" when you can figure out why it won't slip on, haha.

Just so you can line up those marks.... here is the mark on the pulley so you see...(this was a long time ago, i called it a "tick mark", all you need to know is that this is how you line it up.

Bolt it back on, once again, if you can immobilize the pulley CAREFULLY and get enough leverage you can put it back on using a torque wrench, YOU NEED TO USE 85-87ft lbs of torque PER THE BOOK. If your air wrench has a torque setting, set it to this and go carefully, air guns can tend to BREAK things so be VERY cautious or you're going to crack your new pulley and if that happens and it's spinning, it may end up going "whing whing POW" and splitting and then you throw the belt.

Step 9: TENSIONER TIME AGAIN!

Get out your 13mm socket. Tighten that tensioner to get up some slack and it's time to put the belt back on. For those who do not have a chilton book here's a diagram picture from it so you know what order to put the belt back on.

Step 10: PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER

All you need to do is reverse everything now. Put the splash guard back on, make sure all bolt screws are accounted for...

Torque your wheel back down to 85ft lbs of torque and set her down off the stands.

Step 11: TURN THAT BABEH ON!

Moment of truth. Turn the car on, keep the hood up in case worse case scenario you throw the belt and have to jump back under there to remove the splash guard and check what you did wrong, lol! If all went well it should start up smoothly, sound smooth, run smooth and then just go take her for a drive and see what you think.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Koisushi; 06-12-2008 at 01:39 PM.
    ..|.. + ..|..

1977 Porsche 924 (race car, megasquirt, ITBs), 1979 Porsche 924, 1980 Porsche 931, 1999 Ducati 900SS, 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I was going to see if any one had this from the old site, you sir..ROCK!!!
    Last edited by so_slow_zx2; 06-12-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Thread Information