Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best drag launch for ATX?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    just cause your sooooo cool - Gunslinger Hope you enjoyed the "dragon" - zx2loon enjoy the sandwich! - carbonzx2 

Quote Originally Posted by Tygen1 View Post
    Ok, I got it now. Step by step instructions to launch
    Can't do a mtx swap, my wife bought the car new and it's been her baby and she needs to be able to drive it occasionally. Besides, if I wan't to drive a stick, I got a real one sitting in the garage with 10.5 tires and a giant V8
    BTW, my wife and I love your car. Great stance and wheels. Our ZX2 is also Denim Blue.
    t.y. for the compliment
    My Worklogs
    The Blue Car -ported, polished, cammed
    2000 ZX2 S/R -stockish

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    For your penil disorder - ZX2 Sleeper Merry Christmas ! - 2000zx2chik 

Ok, I got it now. Step by step instructions to launch
    Can't do a mtx swap, my wife bought the car new and it's been her baby and she needs to be able to drive it occasionally. Besides, if I wan't to drive a stick, I got a real one sitting in the garage with 10.5 tires and a giant V8
    BTW, my wife and I love your car. Great stance and wheels. Our ZX2 is also Denim Blue.
    gimme
    Old:

2003 ATX ZX2 - Roush style intake, Gude header, Trubendz 2.5in exhaust, Eibach springs and Tokico struts, 21mm swaybar, powder under drive pulley, Focus alternator overdrive pulley, HKS Circle Earth Grounding Kit, leather racing seats, Pioneer AVIC N1 and speakers all around, and S/R gauge cluster. SOLD

1990 Honda CRX - D15 VTEC OBD1, Skunk 2 springs, VIS carbon fiber hood, Si transmission. STOLEN BY POLICE

2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Hankook EVO V12 275/40/20, Weathertech Floormats, Grip Tuning Grill, Clear Side Markers, LMI intake, Predator tune, Corsa Exhaust.

Current:

2015 Mitsubishi Lancer ES - Stock

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Thanks for the how to video - texzetec A toast to Ron Paul :D - powder To you and your family bud. - RASCAL 

Tell your wife to put the purse down and shift. You might be able to hit 14's with just the MTX swap. I think your track is downhill though.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

this is another atx thats pretty fast, alot faster than i thought a 4 cyl. atx would go but its not a zx2 its a awd dsm tallon turbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM3YEfAAfBQ

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by potatoman View Post
    btw ur time was better than spykzees who had a fully N/A built atx.
    I knew it was a good time, but I didn't think it would be close to Spykzees...

It is hard to describe just how good the condtions were. 33 degrees, 40-50% humidity, baro at 30 and rising. The track was ATCO, at ATCOrace.com. Not down hill, just flat and true. The wind was gusting up to 20mph across the track, almost was blown out of my lane on one run and the wind slowed me down by 4 tenths on that run. When was blowing against, not with the car. When it wasn't so windy is when I got the best run, but even then the wind was blowing. Those are the best conditions I've ever run in. I really wanted to bust out a 15.699, but it just wasn't happening, the wind was picking up and conditions were getting worse as it got late. I'd bet it may have a couple tenths left in it if the humidity and baro were better with no wind. I might be tempted to take it back on a day when those conditions exist. Otherwise, as long as it keeps giving me 33+mpg daily, it will remain pretty stock. The only thing I'd like to do to it is some Miata wheels to loose some rotating mass and a sealed ram air to make the motor pump more easily. I'd be doing those mods for MPG, but they will help ET as well
    Thanks for the compliments guys, but I gotta thank my wife for letting me go, and God for some really sweet weather.
    1998 Zx2, ATX, SVTF Header, TruBendz 2.25 cat back, High Flow Cat, COP, Iceman, knocker, Powder UDP & ODP, POT's, ATX Resitor, Block Heater, Oil and Trans Pan Heaters, 5" HD Lip, Rear fender Skirts, custom speed dents and lots of miles and smiles

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I forgot to mention that it turned 237,000 miles this morning and I almost got 33mpg on the tank that I went to the track with...

Gotta love the ZX2!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I'm tempted to take my 03 back out sometime next summer and try the mashing method just for comparison even though it's stock now.
    99 ZX2 S/R, Full Bolt-On, 25K Miles, 2 of 106 - For Sale
    03 ZX2, Close to Stock, 44K Miles

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

do an mtx swap.. lol

yeah, sorry, can't actually help here....

TWM Short Throw, HID's, yeah, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Nothing sounds better than getting raped by most of the active members on here.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    just to gift to a fellow illiniosian lol - zx2cambo No Message - potatoman 

I knew it was a good time, but I didn't think it would be close to Spykzees...

It is hard to describe just how good the condtions were. 33 degrees, 40-50% humidity, baro at 30 and rising. The track was ATCO, at ATCOrace.com. Not down hill, just flat and true. The wind was gusting up to 20mph across the track, almost was blown out of my lane on one run and the wind slowed me down by 4 tenths on that run. When was blowing against, not with the car. When it wasn't so windy is when I got the best run, but even then the wind was blowing. Those are the best conditions I've ever run in. I really wanted to bust out a 15.699, but it just wasn't happening, the wind was picking up and conditions were getting worse as it got late. I'd bet it may have a couple tenths left in it if the humidity and baro were better with no wind. I might be tempted to take it back on a day when those conditions exist. Otherwise, as long as it keeps giving me 33+mpg daily, it will remain pretty stock. The only thing I'd like to do to it is some Miata wheels to loose some rotating mass and a sealed ram air to make the motor pump more easily. I'd be doing those mods for MPG, but they will help ET as well
    Thanks for the compliments guys, but I gotta thank my wife for letting me go, and God for some really sweet weather.
    his best time was 15.8 i believe. although if i rem correctly he did have heavy 18" on lol.
    i wish that the tracks here were open now. i bet i could shave a few tenths of a sec off my time maybe even half a second going from last time i went to the track to the current conditions.

guess i got someone new to catch up to for next summer. although last time i went i didnt have my x2 and i should have my PnP head with raised c/r by then so if the conditions are good i should make it.

when u mashed it u didnt brake torque it at all? just go from the brake to the gas and go?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I remember Spyke saying he was running the 18" wheels. There's no question he's making more power than me, I think he was having issues as well. My motor is all stock, no SCT, just what's the mods listed in the sig. Makes me wonder what a dyno tune and SCT with raised shift points would do.....
    I've been contemplating why there was such a dramatic change in performance. The only changes I made between last time and this time were EV6 injectors and the SVTF header. I got 2 tenths in my sixty foot time by learning to launch better, let it rev out to 6500 rpm in second and of course it was 50 degrees cooler. In my mind I never imagined that would equal 1.2 sec quicker and 7 mph faster. I've raced in really good, mine shaft, conditions before and never saw this dramatic of a difference in performance. I guess that SVTF header really works. Another thing I just remembered is that I though I was low on gas so I got a couple gallons of gas at the track, no idea what octane, they just called it regular gas. I imediatly picked up more than one tenth with that. I'm guessin it was 93 oct and I had 87 oct in the tank before that but my fuel light had been on for about 10 miles so there wasn't much in the tank. I also emptied my trunk of spare tire, jack etc. and gain a tenth from that.
    He's my launch technique. Pull into burnout box, trying to avoid getting tires too wet. Stomp on it to spin the tires up, as soon as I can feel the tires grabbing I let off the gas and stab the brakes to stop it. Then I do a practice launch about half way to the line to make sure my tires are warm enough. If they grab, I know I'm good. One foot on the brake, other hovering over the gas pedel. Last yellow comes on and I lift my foot off the brake while simultneously stomping the gas pedel to the floor. A little tire spin and I'm off. 2.3XX sixty foot time and 0.1XX reaction time.
    I'm running stock steel wheels with Yokohama AVID TRZ all season tires, 80,000 mile tread wear, only $54 from tire rack. Front tires psi at 45, rear at 40.

ATCO is a freak track that stays open year rounds, as long as it isn't raining or snowing, there racing. You ought to take your Christmas vacation in South Jersey

I think I've inspired a number of folks to get out there and try to knock me off the chart. I don't think it will be long before that happens...

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

SCT made a huge difference for me so I would expect good gains. My buddy's neon put a car on me by 70-80ish, afterward I put two cars on him. The biggest part is the shift point. I don't recall what I was using for a 2-3 shift because you have to do a manual L->D shift... i think it was 6750 or something... I calculated it awhile back.

BTW how do you have a SVTF header installed?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

SVTF header install thread -> http://www.teamzx2.com/showthread.php?t=8969

I don't think there is anyway I can afford SCT and a dyno tune, but I can at least dream about it. I wish there was a way to cause the trans to hold first pask 6K. I tried different shift points into third and didn't see much change at all between 6500 and 7000 rpm. Of course the wind was gusting pretty good, so I wouldn't call that conclusive.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

The ROI for 2-3 shift points isn't that huge because the HP of entry and exit are close as it is due to the gearing differences. 1-2 though makes for quite the difference. The only way to hold the transmission in the gear longer I think is to find the wire that tells teh trans to shift, cut it and reproduce the same signal manually by a button at the RPM you desire. This or have some circuitry to monitor engine speed and have it trigger at a certain RPM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Dang, I wish you wouldn't have said that because I've already thought about it. Now I'll be on alldata all day tommarow trying to figure this out. I was hoping someone would say, "You can't do that because it's the same signal that runs the motor."
    I believe Ken Potter was looking for diagrams to make his ATX shift via button, I wonder how far he got....I can see already that this will be a huge time eater

Ok, I'm aready thinking. Our trans uses solenoids to shift. Some are engaging and disengaging simultaeous to cause it to shift. I could use a PLC, but don't have the money to buy one for myself. So I'd need to figure out another way, probably a couple banks of relays, some normally open, some normally closed. Then I could use a three position switch, to select a gear. I can see already this will not end good.........

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    just to gift to a fellow illiniosian lol - zx2cambo No Message - potatoman 

thought that u werent supposed to do burnouts on street tires.
    idk y ive only been to the track once but i read somewhere someone saying that u would get water in the treads and track it down the track or something. idk

Thread Information